Mazda Engine General \  EZ engine swap?

EZ engine swap?

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 18268
replies 45
following 13

futurdreamz   +1y
Hello.
A year ago I had gotten a stock 1991 Mazda B2200 Cab plus manual, which I absolutely LOVE. It has great handling, easy to park, and actually has more room in the back seat that a brand new Ranger-clone. It however has a small problem. It only has a 85hp engine which I believe might be made slightly less powerful due to Calgary being 1,048 M above sea level, which means it takes forever t get up to highway speeds on level areas, and impossible on hills (and it is pretty hilly here). Not to mention I want to be able to tow a 2,000lb trailer.

Sooo...
I'm doing an engine swap.
However, this would pretty much be the first mod I have ever done, so I'm trying to make it as easy and painless as possible, but with a decent performance upgrade.

So far what I've seen is that getting a FE3 would give the best boost, and I could get one from a 2005 Kia Sedona with ~140hp, which should be sufficient.
Also from what I read the Kia engine is supposed to be easy drop in after swapping in the Kia engine mounts, with the wiring harness connecting and everything. The only other things I would have to do is replace the fuel line components such as the pumps.

Is this correct?
Any other ideas?
h2omelon(nick)   +1y
You'll need the engine out of a sportage
midnightcamaro   +1y
as nick said youll need one from a sportage if you want a drop in fe3 swap. i believe the year range is somewhere from a 95-02? somewhere in there...if your wanting to haul a trailer maybe a 4.3 chevy or a v8 would be another option for you. they would not be a drop in swap but would give you some more nuts for pulling, but it would be a little more in depth. i want to think they may even make a mount for a 302 that bolts to the factory 4 cyl mounts but not 100% sure there are a couple of guys on here that have done v8 swaps, check the project section and the write up sections.
futurdreamz   +1y
Sorry I meant Sportage.
I'm not exactly sure how I got the SUV mixed up with the minivan.
slo_nlo   +1y
Yeah, towing in the Calgary area would be better done with a V8 swap. That FE3 wouldn't make much of a tow pig anyway.

If you are interested, you can go It is a zip file containing scans of a small manual to swap a 350 SBC and TH350 tranny into the B2200. Since you have the manual tranny, the TH350 is a direct bolt in on your truck. Motor mounts and some driveshaft work and you're there. Living in Alberta will give you the advantage of absolutely no shortage of 350s to choose from!

This was the swap I was going with until a local shop had a solid F2T which he basically let me steal.
korrupt1   +1y
Really??? A TH350 is a strait drop in? And just how much work is it to drop a 350 in? WIre harnesses and such? Not meaning to threadjack but this one hit my curiousity points Thanks
slo_nlo   +1y
Download the link in my post above. It's a very BASIC guide, but it's all that is really required.

A TH350 is a straight drop in to the tranny cross member on a 5 speed mazda. You still need to have a driveshaft built which isn't really a big deal, just not something you can do yourself. Running a carbureted 350 leaves you with VERY little wiring.

I planned on going this route for the motor mount:
korrupt1   +1y

Yea downloading that so thanks a million. Is it gonna be ANY different since I am a 2600i? I cant always seem to find parts....just a lil more work for me to look around is all. But thanks again
futurdreamz   +1y
Awesome - I think I'll go with the V8

My mileage is going to suck tho.
futurdreamz   +1y
I know I'm going to have to get a custom drive shaft - should I swap in a B2600 axle? how hard would that be?