Page 8 of 10
Mazda Wheels Tires \  5 lug conversion questions

5 lug conversion questions

Mazda Wheels Tires Mazda Tech
views 20924
replies 90
following 30

thebeaumartin   +1y
When I did mine I used a Ranger axle and the driveshaft was 90 bucks to have made. no problems with it.
moidsm1   +1y
What was the verdict to using the Explorer 8.8 rear end?
hunterw   +1y
man i didnt know peeps still posted in this haha. but for the tie rods you could make your own connector rods and run the yota outer ball joints. and on the explorer 8.8 im sure it will work. but to be 100 percent sure. id find one and get some measurements off of it to bee 100 percent
andres629   +1y
I know it's kind of an old thread, but I have a few answers about 8.8 stuff... I know the Explorer 8.8's are a 59.5 wms to wms. 95-up have disc brakes, 91-94 are drums. 90-92 RANGER 8.8's (which were only offered in 4.0L Rangers) have a wms-wms of 56.5, and the 93-up Ranger 8.8's are 58.5. However, the Ranger axles never had disc brakes. You CAN swap the Explorer disc setup onto the Ranger axle with ease, though. Another difference between the Ranger and Explorer 8.8's are the axle spline count. Ranger axles are 28 spline, Expo axles are 31 spline. Really not a monumental difference, just makes a difference if you're putting down big power. The weak point in the 8.8 is the carrier, so if you're doing a high HP setup then you may want to consider a "full case" locker or limited slip setup, such as a Detroit True-Trac. Many Explorer axles came factory limited slip, and gear ratio range all the way from 3.08 all the way up to 4.10. I don't know the spring perch width on a Mazda, but an Explorer is 39.5 center to center on the perches. Rangers are the same, except they are spring over.

Can't shed any light on the front conversion, that's why I'm here!
hunterw   +1y
yota swap in the front is pretty darn easy lol. and i just swaped over to a yota rear and im going to do a rear disc conversion on it.
onebadkota   +1y

you know what the exact recipe is for that rear disc swap? well... i think i found what is needed as far as rotors, calipers, etc....At least what i found on yota scene.... U making your own brackets or have u found a source sir? lol
andres629   +1y

Check out trail-gear.com, they make a yota disc brake conversion. It's for six lug, but still... I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to redrill the rotor.
anguswilly   +1y

I have used the combo of 95 pathfinder rear rotors and 95 cobra mustang calipers.

I made a custom bracket which was easy to make from 3/8" plate, also used some universal e-brake cables and connectors to hook it up to the stock cables.

This gives you an E-brake (built into calipers ) and vented rear discs.
400to40k   +1y
Do y'all know if you have to use truck spindles or would they work from a celiac or supra from 70's or 80's
anguswilly   +1y

The cars you mention use macpherson struts, won't work.