threads
Page 1 of 8
Mazda Wheels Tires \  General wheel questions?

General wheel questions?

Mazda Wheels Tires Mazda Tech
views 10200
replies 75
following 22

huskerdually   +1y
Here is a place to ask stuff about backspacing and size and such.

And here is a thread on escalade rims.
mazdaman82   +1y
what is the offset of a chevy /caddy 17" wheel and is there a differents in between the chevy offset and the suzuki offset, will the suzuki wheels fit they are 6lug? i need a wheel that is in just a little bit more to get it off my bed side, any HELP would be great
Post was last edited on Aug 16, 2010 05:08. This post has been edited 1 times.
bagdb2200   +1y

The 17" Caddy wheels are 17x7.5" with a 31mm offset. So that's a 5.47" backspace, and a 3.03" frontspace.
I don't know the specs on any Suzuki wheels, or which Suzuki wheels you're asking about, but if they have less than 3.03" of frontspace it will clear up some room from your bed sides.
huskerdually   +1y
I have always wondered if a guy could have like an 1/8"-1/4" milled off the backside. I mean these wheels came off a BIG vehicle and are now on a little vehicle. I don't know I have not seen one myself, but I was always going to look into it. I wish I had one I could do it to and then have it strength tested.
bagdb2200   +1y

Yea, I've always wondered that too. And now a buddy of mine just bought the attachment for his lathe so he could do just this.
huskerdually   +1y
Are you going to test them somehow, or just hope they are strong enough?
bagdb2200   +1y
I don't have any wheels to do this with anyway. My truck has a Toyota axle in the back, which is narrower, and we narrowed the front when we made the control arms.
immortal1 (linn)   +1y
Ok, gonna throw my 0.02 in the mix here...

On the aluminum Chevy wheel you should be able to mill off 1/8" from the mounting flange without sacrificing any wheel strength. Especially for these trucks. Now 1/4" may not make much difference either but you might be really altering the amount of "meat" that the lug nuts are using to hold the rim to the axel hub.

I don't know and have not measured how long the hole is from the mounting flange to where the lug nut cone begins but I would guess it is not much more than 3/8". Really don't think it would be 1/2". But what ever it does measure out to be I would not want less that 1/4" from the mounting flange to the start of the lug nut cone. I am also assuming (silly me) that the lug nut cone will probably add another 1/4" of aluminum (meat) to keep the lug from pulling thru.

I guess the above really only matters if your tire sidewall is just barely touching the inside of the quarter panel. In which case an extra 1/8" might be enough to keep the paint from blistering due to tire rub.
mazdaman82   +1y
ok so this guy at the tire shop can redrill holes in wheels, so i was thinking, why not weld up the holes take some off the back and then redrill the lug holes that way you still have meat to wrench on,
huskerdually   +1y
That would probably work, it is a lot of work. How much room you need? What about swapping rear ends? I know a pre 84 rear is 4.25" narrower.