Page 2 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  Maximizing B2200 carby fuel economey

Maximizing B2200 carby fuel economey

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2596
replies 12
following 6

matt1094   +1y
I live at sea level so I don't foresee any gains by doing this.

mazda_b2000_driver   +1y
Hi Matt,

So I think the vast majority of head gasket issues on the B series is caused by 3 things:

1) the wrong type of thermostat reason 1 - There seem to be 2 types quoted for the Bs - 180 degree and 192-195 degree. Go with the 180 degree - less max temp means less head expansion and less sheer forces tearing at the head gasket.
2) the wrong type of thermostat reason 2 - There are 2 more types of thermostats - ones that require the engine to get really warm before they open and then open to cool to regulation temp and others that do not. Go with one that does not - again to minimize temp fluctuations which tear up head gaskets.
3) Old radiator with poor cooling efficiency - Spend $135 to buy a new radiator - it will save $100s down the road in bad head gaskets and lots of time. I just put a new 100% aluminum job in the truck from Orielly which is the double row and love the thing, I went on a 3000 mile road trip through including between Death Valley Californian and Phoenix in July at 75 mph where outside temps were 115 degrees and with the new radiator keep the temp gauge down at 1/4 with no fluctuations. If you see temp gauge fluctuations the radiator can be the culprit and will shorten the life of the head gasket.
matt1094   +1y
I completely agree. Someone installed a forklift radiator in my truck before I bought it. It's a massive brass two core radiator stock width and height just thicker. That should do the trick tho esp with Efans on it. The factory shroud is missing anyways.