Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  Weber 32/36 vs. EFI for boost on 2.2L

Weber 32/36 vs. EFI for boost on 2.2L

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3897
replies 16
following 4

low_life77   +1y
Okay first off I'm a noob to the Mazda scene so bare with me. My plans are to turbo my stock 2.2L after I swap out for a MT. That being said I know that EFI is the way to go to make more power and run higher psi than I could with the Weber carb system. Although it will more than likely be a couple months before I have everything needed for boost.

My questions are A)
Would it be more beneficial to purchase the Weber 32/36 carb kit and run it until/if I purchase the fuel injection system? I have seen guys boost their motors with the Weber carb but have also been told that you will only be able to run about 5 psi unless you run an electric fuel pump, which I will be running anyways. This is also my daily at the time being. The reason I was considering purchasing the 32/36 is simple for improved fuel millage and more power/ditching the EGR crap.

And B)
If you think that I should just forget the Weber and do the EFI conversion (since I will eventually be boosting) for anyone that has done this or knows how to do this, what is all needed? Everything I have owned minus my 2stroke bikes have already been FI so I am not sure what all I need and don't need. I know that it is a must if I want to make more power and run higher psi. I'm assuming I will need parts from the 2.2 EFI non turbo/turbo motor from the MX-6/Probe (unless the b2200 comes fuel injected) like the: intake manifold, throttle body, fuel rail, injectors, fuel pressure regulator (probably an adjustable one with gauge) electronic fuel pump. But other than that I'm kinda lost

Would I need things like a new harness, ecu/ecm or fmu, mass air flow?(again not sure what the Mazda's require as fuel injected)
Or just get a complete FI head swap. I'm sure I can pick most if not all of this up at a wrecking yard but can anyone give me an estimate on what this conversion would cost?

Sorry for writing a book here but a lot of you guys on here are very familiar with these trucks/engines (AngusWilly, ChaserJonDoe, mymmeryloss, fdugn545, mazdizzle, hunterw ect ect) and know what you need and how to do and I don't so any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated!
chaserjohndoe   +1y
the b22 did come fuel injected but its rather rare. they are mostly from the northern states and Canada. I have seen a couple in our area but they are pricey.
low_life77   +1y

what about the Probe/MX-6 FI stuff would it bolt up? Or just swap it out with their head I think there a 12V but I believe they bolt on. If I am lucky enough to come across either of these options what all do I need to convert it?
low_life77   +1y
Or would it be easier and or less expensive to just swap out my 2.2L with a Probe or MX-6 fuel injected engine and or even one with factory turbo which I suppose would kill two birds with one stone. Cover the turbo and FI. Just throwing out ideas and looking for suggestions.
emjay   +1y
head does bolt on, but you have firewall clearance issues with the rear mounted distributor and the upper coolant port to the radiator. Here is a thread that has details on this swap, but he went a bit overboard.

Hope this helps.
low_life77   +1y

Thanks a lot bro, at least you actually tried to help unlike most on this site lol. It did clear up most of my questions. I was originally going to head to the import wrecking yard about an hour from my house to see if I could find a 626/MX-6/Probe intake efi system and bolt it up to mine but now I know that wont work. But the 12V head will work so that may be something I will consider since it looks much more easier to complete than the entire swap in that thread. I understand the clearance issues and my plan was just like one of the guys in there said modify the firewall with a small box in the inside of the cab for the dizzy. The reason I want to swap out my carb system with the EFI is so I can build a high output engine and more PSI possibilities with the turbo and easier to tune. But so far I haven't came across anything for EFI except the entire engine. And in that thread it looked like a lot of work. How did you do your set up? Like what are you all running for engine, turbo, head, tranny ect? I'm sorry for asking so many questions new to the mazda's but I love building engines for boost and I just want to do it right but need help from someone who already has.

Thanks again man

Chance
emjay   +1y
I did it years ago. I used an intake manifold from an 85 626 8 valve motor. I made a megasquirt, but it is possible to use a harness from a 88-92 EFI 626/probe/mx6. There are a few threads on it, it requires you to splice two harnesses together.

There is also the 95-2002 Kia Sporrage. The SOHC is the same setup as the EFI B series, so grab it all. The DOHC requires more work but has the best gains. Dual cam motor bolts to ypur transmission. Several have also done this. The 12v swap is one of the hardest to do with middle of the road gains.

For the record, I'm planning a different 12v swap on mine, using EDIS ignition and a Weber 38.
anguswilly   +1y
Don't waste time or money on carb. (no offense to guys who did it already) but it'll be more costly and troublesome in the end and not run as well.

Easy way - complete B2200 EFI setup, plug and play - not easy to get ( I have a complete setup here though
low_life77   +1y

Okay so if I come across an 85 626 8V motor I could swap it out for my carb set up and either run MegaSquirt or splice my harness with a 88-92 EFI harness from a 626/Probe/MX-6 which is fine by me I love wiring haha.

Is there any gain for swapping my 2.2 for the Kia Sportage SOHC? Or is that just because it's easy to come by and for the EFI system?

I would love to do the DOHC swap their fairly easy to come by and not too costly either, I'm just not sure if I want to open up a can of worms and start a project that may not get finished. Not that I'm against work or a challenge, I just don't want to jump into something that requires a ton of fab work although if the gains make a substantial difference I may do it!
low_life77   +1y

I'm glad you got back to me man seeing how you have done a ton of boosted set ups and built quite a few engines same with emjay. And I'm glad you said to forget the carb lol I really didn't want to do that but I see so many guys running them on here which is fine but I'm gunning for more power and psi than that.

Now this may be a dumb question but is there any benefit to using a MX-6 12V head turbo or non over my B2200 8V head? Obviously another valve to each cylinder (I suppose allowing for more air coming in and exiting faster) but does it make any gains would it be worth it or kind of a waste of money?

So you're saying the best is to keep the 8V head swap out the carb system for a B2200 efi manifold with the MX-6 turbo/turbo manifold, wire harness, and ecu? I would still have to change out the fuel pump for an electronic one what lph would you recommend? And you have pretty much everything I would need to make this happen? Would you be willing to sell it? I have been searching for about 2 weeks now and the only thing I have came across is a 90 Probe head non turbo but complete 12V head without any of the EFI stuff though. I still need to find a 5 speed tranny for it too. I'm just trying to gather up everything I need to do the boost set up so I won't have to wait around on things.

Thanks man