threads
Page 2 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  electric fan question....

electric fan question....

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 1866
replies 11
following 9

dvsdev   +1y
Need more power for sounds, upgrade to RX7 alternator and fit a 40 farad soundstream capacitor, that's what I did, honestly though, cooling between my old manual and electric wasn't that much different, especially with the stock radiator, I had a leak in my radiator, took it to shop to get it fixed and the cost to repair was higher than the cost of a shiny new aluminium radiator, but I didn't like the look of the ugly fan so I decided to hack the bracket and remove it, now working on the motor is much easier without it in the way.

Going back to your initial question, on my S1 RX7 I went and fitted 2x small electric fans that I salvaged from a wrecker, hooked them up to a manual switch on the dash and removed the manual fan, it went awesome for me, I would sometimes forget to turn them on though and like I said it is only when you're stuck in traffic or at the lights that they turn on anyway so you need to turn them off again when you start driving or they're just wasting power, to have one as a backup on your truck wouldn't hurt I'd say
anguswilly   +1y
I have always removed the belt driven fan on every car I have had, there are plenty of dyno tests that have proven HP gains, but the difference you can feel is how freely the engine revs and it no longer sounds like a Cessna.

Two things - do not cheap out, buy the highest flowing fan you can get and use a good thermo switch to control it, I use the hayden adjustable one.

These trucks blow head gaskets when the rads get plugged and the fan clutches go out - other than that I find them bulletproof - anything will fail if left in bad repair.