threads
Page 1 of 2
Mazda Engine Performance \  Fuel Regulator needed for V8 swap?

Fuel Regulator needed for V8 swap?

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 3252
replies 16
following 5

kovz   +1y
I am in the process of wiring and plumbing a Ford 302 (5.0) in my truck and a couple questions come to mind.
I am using a Holley 600 cfm 4-brl carb and HEI distributor. Can I use the factory fuel tank from my Mazda with the factory pump and sending unit or will it be starving for fuel? Will I need a fuel regulator or something?
My Mazda is an 88' that was originally carbureted with a manual transmission.

Any help or explanation is appreciated.
kovz   +1y
Bump. Someone please help.

Looking for info on if I decided to go with a fuel cell as well. What all would I need?
topless   +1y
I've, seen stock tank n sending units used!, go to local auto parts pull up both pumps see what they rated at and compare! A 2600I fuel pump is off just a little a wide open Throttle from a 302fuel injected! Hope this helps!
jenko   +1y
I'd mount an external low pressure electric fuel pump for something like this.
Did that for my capri (3.0 v6, was all good)

Surprised you have an electric pump with a manual and carbed B, maybe it's an American thing?
The B2600 pump is a high pressure pump in tank, so you'd need a regulator, but that's regulating WAAAY down in PSI.

go external lp, they don't have to work really hard to attain high psi so they don't get so hot, get a mechanical pump sender unit/fuel pick up to go with it and you'll be golden!
kovz   +1y
If I bought a fuel cell, what all would I need?
jenko   +1y
not sure why you'd want a fuel cell.
are you doing something crazy with the truck? crawling/drifting etc?
unless you mean a surge tank? but for a carb, the bowl is basically your surge tank.

if you did, you'd be replacing your tank.
so, cell, pump, fuel lines, wiring
and somewhere to mount cell
kovz   +1y
Well the stock tank doesn't fit in the factory location anymore because I am bagged with a 4-link. I think the stock tank in the bed is ugly. So I might opt for a nice looking fuel cell instead.
90-b22dawg [andrew]   +1y
are you sure your stock tank has a pump? most if not all carb'd mazdas came with a mechanical engine driven fuel pump.
kovz   +1y
No, I have no idea, that's why I'm asking...
Post was last edited on Aug 15, 2012 08:08. This post has been edited 1 times.
kovz   +1y
To make a long story short, my friends removed the 2.2L engine from the truck while I was out of town on work (as a friendly gesture). I sold the engine and tranny so I'm not sure if it had a mechanical pump.

How difficult is it to use a mechanical on the 302? Do I have to take the engine apart at all to fit the pump on the front side? I guess I have some research to do on these. I'm not familiar with them.

thread post photo