1998 Bravo EFi over heating issue

Mazda 2.6L Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 5031
replies 57
following 6

missvix   +1y
Yep replaced both of them
missvix   +1y
Ok, just took it for a test drive, temp ran at half, came up a couple of times (only about 3 needle widths) then dropped again back to half.

BUT Now when I stop the car, take my foot off the accelerator, there seems to be a slight surge in revs.
Not by much though.

Still sounds like it's boiling in/around thermostat.

I love a challenge lol
You guys are probably sick of me by now lol
sincitylocal   +1y
Are you running a 50/50 coolant mix, or just water?
scotch   +1y

That means it's not completely clogged. But the flow could still be restricted.

Don't rule out the water pump - especially since the previous owner was running straight water. I have seen impellers corrode away to nil. Just because it's not squealing means the bearings aren't shot. But it may very well be corroded.

When you say that it revs, does it do it only while the transmission is in gear, or when in gear and in neutral? If only when the transmission is put in gear (and then drops back down when put to neutral), then you have a bad clutch switch - not the starter interlock/inhibit switch, but the clutch switch at the top of the pedal travel.

Just to double check, are you certain you installed the new thermostat in the right direction and not backwards? Also, with the jiggle pin at the top? Somebody on here recently installed one backwards and it certainly gave them some issues.
Post was last edited on Sep 12, 2014 01:09. This post has been edited 1 times.
missvix   +1y

As it's a manual, I dropped it completely out of gear with clutch out and it still did it, but let it cool down a bit and it stopped doing it.
At this stage I am willing to pick up a new water pump anyway, just to see how it goes
And yes I installed the thermostat the correct way Jiggle pin at the top
missvix   +1y
Found the problem, there is a slight crack in the head.
Just gonna chuck some chemi weld in it till I can get hold of a new crate motor
Thanks for all your help guys
sincitylocal   +1y
Why a whole motor and not just a head?
missvix   +1y
It's cheaper for me to get a new commodore motor and conversion kit
More power hehe
I could just get a new head, but could start finding other issues as well
missvix   +1y
After consulting bank account, with Christmas looming etc, new head it will be
$550 not bad Just hope no other issues start cropping up.
God only knows what the last owner did with this ute, scared of pulling it apart and finding other major issues
missvix   +1y
Sorry I haven't been on in a while guys, everything has been hectic.
Head had a crack in between 2nd and 3rd chamber, being so far away from town I am still waiting on delivery of my new head.
$800 comes with new valves etc Changed my mind on the one that I had to put everything back together myself, why not get one that just slaps in, with a VRS kit to replace all gaskets while I am at it $115 for that
So hopefully be back on the road VERY soon, touch wood and cross fingers
thanks for all your advice guys, you are all legends