Page 2 of 3
Mazda Engine Swaps \  302 vs 305 vs sr20-t

302 vs 305 vs sr20-t

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4644
replies 24
following 13

befarrer   +1y
13B Rotary, can have a tiny temper-mental motor that sounds like an angry chainsaw under the hood? Out of your original options, I would vote 302, I think it is the most common swap out of the 3 in a b series, and there is lots of aftermarket for the 302 to make it more powerful.
anguswilly   +1y
Totally can see how the 5.0 is attractive ( I mean I did the swap!) but the SR20 would probably be my choice of those 3
2slo2rce   +1y
Any newer gm LS motor. If I were to do it again I would use a 4.8 or 5.3 truck motor instead of the LS1 I used. You can get them stupid cheap, they get good gas mileage, the swap isn't that hard (I did it lol), they make a ton of power and if you want you can easily run them carb'd. I'll try and post some pics up of mine. I meant to do a build thread but got tied up and forgot all about doing a thread. The 4.8 and 5.3 motors can make good power NA but REALLY love boost!!! I was really debating using a Honda F20/22 out of a s2000 but bang for the buck, you CAN'T beat a LS lol
inlinesicks   +1y

Absolutely agree with this. Nothing can beat the power to price ratio of a 5.3L. I can get them all day long for $400-$500
hunterw   +1y
If you keep an sr20det stock it will not cost near 5000. About 3k id say.

350s are a common swap. But do the trick.

I would do a 302 before a 350. Sound better and like mentioned the distro is in the front. Saving you a headache.

I know which one id do....
sincitylocal   +1y
No headache unless you run HEI.
Mine cleared with no modifications to the firewall!

thread post photo

thread post photo
kovz   +1y
My pick is 302.... because... well... this.

thread post photo
sincitylocal   +1y
I really don't care, Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, Lexus... something else.
I just really like the sound of a V8!
anguswilly   +1y

Remember, he is paying a shop to do the swap and that is the big game changer.
mazdamandan   +1y
anyone ever do a 300zx 3.0 n/a or tt ?