Page 1 of 3
Mazda Engine Swaps \  302 vs 305 vs sr20-t

302 vs 305 vs sr20-t

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4640
replies 24
following 13

mooop888   +1y
Hey guys, just got in to the mini-truck game with an '87 b2000 that I picked up off of craigslist. I'm not in the money for a new engine at the moment, but I am hoping you guys could possibly help with some advice! When I say on the fence I really mean it, all of these options have about the same amount of my interest as one another. So my question is do you guys think a 302 out of an older mustang, 305 SBC, or an sr20det would be best?

I need any and all info on each of these swaps to help me out! I understand that 'best' is a very vague term, but I am mainly looking for info right now. What I'm looking to find out about each of these engines is: Cost to swap (probably through a shop, not incapable, but would rather put 5k$ towards the swap than getting all of the tools I'd need to do it myself), average power/torque I can expect from each engine along with how costly it is to add power on top of it, how much money in 'add-ons' I'd need to make the engine work.

Obviously I'd need a new transmission that works with it and everything, but I think I read somewhere that for an sr20 you need to swap in the rear axle of an s13 or something. I really don't know, that's why I posted here! Also I kind of just want to know which one is more fun all around. I know that's an opinion, but right now hearing a turbo spool followed by a BOV going off sound amazing, but just about as amazing as a test-piped truck with a v8 in it. I'm probably going to end up trying to get into drifting with it (I like to 'break the meta') so if there's any advantage in going with one over the other for better drift control and initiation that would be nice to know too!

Sorry for making this such a read, and if I wasn't the most specific person in the world, but I really just need information on all of these motors! Most importantly the final price of a swap with each of these engines, because that really will probably end up being more of a factor than anticipated.

Thank you guys!
chaserjohndoe   +1y
don't do a chevy 305 use a 350. 305's are pos junk had one in my my old car. had a whole 100 hp the same as our little 4 bangers. if you are going to do a swap KIA is the best bang for buck.
inlinesicks   +1y
Out of those engines I would have the 302 for sure, they're cheap, have enough power, and the distributor is on the front which makes the swap a bit easier. With that being said, there are much better choices than all the engines you listed.
mooop888   +1y
Lol, I'm a lot worse off than I thought. I've heard about these KIA engines but what's the technical name? I'd like to look it up.

And what would you recommend looking into Inlinesicks? Luckily I have plenty of time to research so any suggestions are welcomed!
inlinesicks   +1y
The only thing good about the Kia engines is that they're easy to swap since its basically the same engine as the one already in the truck.

My recommendations would be a Vortec 350 if you want an old school engine, or a Chevy 5.3L if you want modern. Both are pretty cheap, readily available, and make substantially more power the ones you listed.
anguswilly   +1y
Well, the thing about swaps is - everyone has their own favorite for whatever reason.

Now if I were you I would listen to those who have done the swap they like (or are at least familiar with the motor), because if not - then you are not really hearing the real deal.

My opinion on the swaps you listed:

- 302, only good if you get the HO like the 89 mustang - I built a few in these trucks and I think I sold my last 5.0 truck because it was a gas guzzler and became less than practical anymore. It wasn't even really fast stock (the truck weighs about the same or a little more than a 5L) so my last one I had to supercharge it to get it to go fast, I spent obscene amounts to get the power I was making (390whp) I loved it, but it had to go. Plan to spend $5K plus if paying a shop - that is what it cost the last guy who I built one for.

-305 / 350, just forget it - these are antiquated and while super popular, they are a hassle to swap in these trucks and for what you spend, it'll most likely still be slow. Plan to spend $2500-5000 depending on carb or EFI.

- SR20DET, you can read my comments below.

Swaps I considered for my new truck: (you can see what I chose too)

SR20DET - you are talking minimum $5000, probably way more if paying a shop

Pros:

- Factory turbocharged

- Makes around 200+hp stock

- "Cool factor"

-Can get 6spd tranny (but$$$$$$)

Cons:

- Doesn't bolt right in (either does a V8)

- Has power limitations unless you build it (then why the heck not just build up the F2???)

- Hard to get certain parts

- Expensive parts, like if you blow a turbo (which happens)

"KIA" motor, aka FE3: (you can read up on all the history of these)

Pros:

- Makes 130-ish HP stock

- Bolt straight in

- Fairly cheap to buy (maybe $500-$800)

- Uses stock tranny (maybe not-so-good, since the trannys are weak)

- Easy to turbocharge

- Can get Kia parts easy

- Twincam motor "cool factor"

Cons:

- Will take lots $$$ to make it "fast"

- Stuck with weak B2200 tranny (so if you turbo it, the motor can make 300+hp easy, but you'll be buying trannys every week)

- Wiring is still a pain

- If going turbo, you'll need aftermarket ECU like a megasquirt, so you'll need dyno tuning too - ok, ok, lots of people "street tune" them too.

Stock F2 motor, mildly built for turbo: (*** THIS IS WHAT I CHOSE)

Pros:

- Stock motor so no messing around swapping, money and time can be spent fortifying the motor (not really much is needed, since these motors are tough) and turbocharging it - remember, these motors came turbocharged and diesel using the exact same blocks.

- Less money spent

- No "hacking" etc.

- Your truck will not be heavier, or have worse handling (like with a V8)

- Stock motor with a few mods can do 300hp easy - I only added a new cyl. head and ARP head studs to my stock bottom end that I rebuilt

- If the truck is injected, turbocharging is super simple and can be cheap (even if not, you can get the EFI from the wrecking yard)

- Decent fuel milage if you keep your foot out of it most of the time

Cons:

- No "cool" twin cam head

- Tranny is still weak (I'm happy with what I have, 6-7psi and maybe 160-170hp) so If I go higher boost / hp, then I will have issues - BUT the trannys are cheap and super easy to swap.

- If you don't buy one of these new head castings that are cast thicker and not 20+ year old aluminum, you'll most likely have issues.

In the end you need to decide what you want, if the sound of a V8 coming out of a mini truck turns you on - and for me, I love the 5.0 SOUND - then go for it, just know what you are getting into.
chaserjohndoe   +1y
Don't forget the mx6/probe motor as well. I know you need to modify the firewall a little. but twin cammed injected and turbo.

I have the turbo manifold and turbo ready to be bolted to my stock f2 block.

read here

I'm doing the same as him. except I have a g6 turbo. Not going to be a hotrod by any means but it will be more peppy.
tucknrimmaz   +1y
If you want a turbo 4 cyl. do a miata swap.

302 if you want a V8.

I'm guessing 5K would be enough for either swap.
anguswilly   +1y

The Probe/mx-6 motor is not twin cam.

It is the exact same block as the stock motor but has a 12 valve head - not enough for me to go through the trouble of installing it.
chaserjohndoe   +1y
sorry messed that up Willy is right.