Page 3 of 3
Mazda Engine Swaps \  This will become reality one day. SR20det swap

This will become reality one day. SR20det swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4212
replies 28
following 7

inlinesicks   +1y
I'm not trying to be a downer here, just trying help you get the best bang for your buck. I'm not sure if you realize the cost involved in building an engine like the ka24de to be even remotely fast. To even get 250hp to the wheels your going to be buying pistons($500), ecu($800+cost of tuning), turbo($1,200), injectors($500), plus all the smaller stuff like MAF sensor, fuel pump, intercooler, headers, exhaust, clutch, ect. adds about another $1,000 at least. I recommended a small block before but you said you want to stick with import stuff so why not do something like a Toyota 1UZ-FE, its a 4.0L V8 its common, cheap, light, fuel efficient, reliable, and best of all 290hp stock It sure would save you alot of money, also once you modify an engine like the ka24 to make that much power it becomes unreliable and will get terrible fuel mileage. Like I said, I'm not trying to bash you swap idea I'm just showing you other options that you might not have thought of
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Well i'm open to all ideas, I have thought of small block so many times, around my area it's hard to find a good import at all i mean decent shape unless it's spanking new or one owner with proof, it's been fast n furiously ragged out at one point in its life span around here. very few nice imports period in my area, in the hills of Tennessee it's more old school classic shops here, only few garages work on imports in my area of the woods. that aren't over 4 hours out.

Also I appreciate the guesstimations of costs and how it would affect my gas mileage and such, thought little into that right now, just planning ideas through my head, but again many times has the idea of a 4.6 298 i believe? or 289 not very sure, but came in the 96^ Gt stangs of the day, very nice torquey motors, but then there we go with the hassle of comprimising for the weight as well. and i think just for the roads and how they are around here V-8 just lil to much for it in drive ability through a period, so i'm looking to stay within weight range of the 2.2 and a 4 cylinder, but again, once this is actually accomplished by then I hope to aquire another decent B i can just swap my current motor tranny to ( unless it's failed at that point) and have a daily driver, plus a car hauler for my toy lol. so the gas mileage isn't that huge of an issue, it wouldn't be a long trip vehicle i understand that, but it'd be a weekend warrior in town an havin fun with local kids at the shows haha,
inlinesicks   +1y
The Ford 4.6 is a great engine. Also if weight is a big factor consider the Chevy LS1 or L33.

ka24de weight=371lbs hp=140

LS1 weight=385lbs hp=350

I don't know about you but I wouldn't mind adding 14lbs to my truck for 210 more hp lol
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Lol, well i'm gonna see how the Ka24 approach pans out for now, especialy if i can get the motor from this guy, that'd be a huge money saver 250 for a complete engine, maybe a lil more with all wiring and ecu stuff. but other than that i may go to pep boys o'reillys etc and shop about for prices on crate motors for the Ka24 through them.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Well, that idea panned out, went to look at the moto, he started it up and it was knocking like a hookers head off a motel wall on a binge thursday night, so i walked off and just chuckled as it had been posted as excellent condition.

So i'll be going on Ebay and looking have a little bit, few motors atm but nothing i my timeframe i could buy, complete ready to run rebuilds at 150k - 220k mile mark they been rebuilt just varies on whatever they have in at the time i suppose, but not to bad under 1 grand for the KA24DE, so with that in mind i'm going and shopping round for superchargers for this motor.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Just a little rant cause i'm to broke atm and it's pissin me off! lol, not really but damn I found a deal, a freshly rebuilt KA24DE from a wrecked 240, with 5 speed and ecu harness, 600$!!!! WTF i mean man just kind gets me a little, i didn't het the job i had went and interviewed for so no luck there yet, still doing odd jobs for people in my town, mainly the elders round here who really can't get out n do but do like to get out watch n boss ya lmao. but man i'm just thinking of being a doucher and flagging the post but not that kinda guy haha. but it was very nice had pictures from built to finish.

Also on sidenote just cause, lol there was also a turbo intake and everything needed to convert it to a turbo setup, 100$ man man what luck i have!!!!

Sucks being on disability, yes i'm only 25, but i was kicked by a horse when I was 20, lost all feeling and 80% function of my right arm, completely shattered every bone in my arm, was a long healing process, but im good now and trying get off disability i hate and despise it but right now its how i stay in a home and have food. but just kinda lets hope i ca land a job, and thanks everyone on here for helping out and listening to some whiny brat moan about his dreary days appreciated fellas and gals.
emjay   +1y
could always do other diesel swaps
RF diesel RWD, about $2000 dropped in, slow as sin (like a B) with insane (40mpg) mileage.

OR
OM602 Mercedes 5 cyl diesel

(previous diesel was an older OM617 MB diesel)

IF you wanna stay a gasser, you could always do the FE3 swap from a Kia Sportage or import one from Japan.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
I've looked into the FE3 swap, not any Kia Sportages wrecked within ( well at junkyards or craigslisted) for over 100 miles that i've called so far, but never know, i've had better luck tracking down KA24DE's around my area so primarily why i'm going with this swap.

But if luck prohibits me to find a nice FE3 i'd do it as well, but till then we shall see.
anguswilly   +1y
I am currently doing my F2 with a turbo, been done many times and I built a few, some years ago -

I did really want to do the SR20DET but decided that for what I am doing (daily driver / shop truck, I could not justify the cost.

I have, however planned out the swap and it looks not too bad.

SR20 RWD motor, tranny ECU

Universal SR20 harness from wiring specialties (allows easy hookup and clean look)

Custom driveshaft

Custom engine mounts

Custom rad

Custom trans crossmember

Custom intercooler and piping

Speedo interface

Tach adapter

odds and ends.