Page 2 of 3
Mazda Engine Swaps \  This will become reality one day. SR20det swap

This will become reality one day. SR20det swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4213
replies 28
following 7

hunterw   +1y
Sr20 would be easier to get more power out of and they are pretty easy to find. Id go sr20..and I did lol
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
sr20 may be where you are but not around here, and kinda read up on it and decided go with the Ka24det more of a reliable parts supply around, and just more practical than the sr20 swap, yeah may get a lil more power out the sr20, but if my oil pump breaks i don't have to order one from japan lol.
inlinesicks   +1y
You could do what I did with my Toyota 4x4, 3.0L Turbo Diesel

thread post photo
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Oh wow, very nice daily driver or? built? just curious why go with diesel or you do lots of haulin? Just curious why went with a diesel lol, nothing against it. but i say you get some good mpg with it and some hellacious torque, but eh i wanna stay gas never been a diesel fan to much motor noise for my liking. But I actually was looking on craigslist, if i can get ahold of the guy he has a ka24de sitting i his car that was wrecked in a t bone accident, ( he was T-boned but ok) and downer is auto tranny, plus side, 1996, odometer reads 78K miles nice low mileage, also only 250$ for the motor with no ecu or wiring harness ( thinking stand alone?) or would i still need the ecu for this? also another plus, i have a solid running truck, i can take my time building the motor slowly, seeing what will/won't work for me an my preference, and give me time get driveshaft and transmission built. ( tranny just modified ) and i'd be set i'd be able to get it within the next month or so gonna offer him a little more cash to hold it for me, usualy works if not no biggie but hey sells easier when you offer to pull it as well.
inlinesicks   +1y
Its a daily driver. I went with the diesel because it was a massive upgrade in power and fuel economy.....and just because I love diesels It gets about 34mpg hwy unloaded and when I loaded almost 2000lbs in the bed and drove 1,400 miles at 75mph I still averaged 31mpg. I also take it offroading very frequently and the torque is amazing for that. I even turned the boost down from stock to 8psi for better fuel economy and it is still surprisingly fast. If the roads are damp at all I can break the tires loose in a straight line at 70mph lol.

I cant wait to see how your swap turns out. That sounds like a good deal for the engine and tranny although running an automatic is more difficult since its electronically controlled so you would need the stock ecu and wiring harness. What performance upgrades are you going to do to? Turbo?
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
I say so i bet with the right ries and suspension you could crawl with the bigboys lmao, but dang man that sounds like an awesome swap if you're a diesel man.

And right now i'm just going with the motor, as long as the block itself isn't cracked i could care less about the rest of it. and well that is what i was thinking on the auto tranny, so since this swap wont be started for a little while ( winter coming and no real garage to work in) so i'm just going to bide my time and find a 5 speed tranny from the same year as the one i pull the motor, or i guess it wouldn't really be a difference as long as it is in that car year range of make/model?

But yes I plan on turboing it, not sure how big i want to go yet, but i was reading up on the engines themselves stalking a few 240 only forums i found, and stock internals can handle 13 psi of boost in the motors ( atleast that's what was said lol) But i don't plan on cranking it up that high unless i'm heading to the local police sponsored street drags they hold in the summer, so i'll probably stay around 8-10 psi on it for daily driving. so i plan on doing just a mild build on the inside itself, probably a small bore over of 35-45, depending on how far i can bore the motor out not sure. but also the standard stuff better injector system and valve upgrade alongside the cam etc. possible head swap if there is one to swap up too on that motor. but yeah the motor upgrades will probably happen over a year to 2 year period, kinda limited on funds i can put into something like this, just starting to go after my own place i will own for the first time instead of renting, potential move to wherever strikes my fancy lol. But this is just something i wanna do within next few years as my truck is still very dependable and in no rush to replace it yet. This will also be my first motor swap i will be performing, now you said that with an auto tranny i would need the ecu and computers etc, but with a 5 speed, culd i just go with a stand alone ignition? not very sure what these are haven't looked into them to far, but i've read on here somewhere, one of the members posted that to avoid hassles of the ecu harness and lots of wiring you can do a stand alone ignition?
inlinesicks   +1y
Sounds good. Yeah you can use any year 5sp tranny as long as it originally came bolted to a ka24. You can run a standalone ecu but you have to know what your doing and preferably have a dyno for that. A standalone ecu is like a blank computer and you have to program in exactly how much fuel and timing advance/retard that you want for every rpm.

I have done quite a few engine swaps and built many engines so feel free to ask any questions that you might have.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Appreciated, well sounds like i'll be having to set back money for dyno time, i have a few garage ( own there own business ) buddies, but i'm gonna do this as much on my own as i possibly can, but i think i may just try to find a cleanly pulled wiring harness and computer at first before i go into the stand alone side, but if i can't find one that is in decent shape, instead shelling out for a new one, just go the stand alone system route and find a dyno shop around and have them set it for me so i know that if it's wrong or messes up in that factor i can take it to them and say hey ta da lol. but i'm not really looking to push past 350 hp for right now so it could end up being an all motor build into that hp range without the turbo for now and just have that in mind as i build it an get an intake for that and have that area sealed off until that time comes.

But yeah i will probably be on here asking a lot about it once it's ready to sit in, especialy in the motor mount areas and seating the transmission right.
inlinesicks   +1y
350hp out of a n/a ka24? That would cost many thousands of dollars to build not to mention it wouldn't run on anything but race gas lol.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Ah well scrap that idea then lmao was a thought, like said still looking into the motors ( was kinda wishfull thinking i knew but hey ) but eh i will def be supercharging or turboing it then so yeah gonna have a little fun with it, mainly street drags that they locally hold at bristol dragway all summer, very nice rides but no Mazdas gotta go rep the B.