Page 1 of 3
Mazda Engine Swaps \  This will become reality one day. SR20det swap

This will become reality one day. SR20det swap

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 4211
replies 28
following 7

xxchromeghostxx   +1y
After browsing the site for swap ideas i've found what i want to do within the next 2 years for my truck.I want the SR20det swap, supercharge instead of turbo if possible, not sure still doing some research on the motor itself atm. i seen it mounts right up, just move your tranny cross member back and make a new hole for the shifter etc, i didn't come across to much about the driveshaft though, seen few you asked but no real responses i found? There is a custom shop around here though i'm lucky, he goes to the bristol speedway sometimes during drags and does work for the crews there if they bust their shafts. but he will build you one from scratch reasonably priced as well. doing a little more searching on here, but just a few questions as well someone may know before i stumble on it but eh here goes.

Would i need to change the rearend ( hogs head) to a stouter one or would that be dependent on HP?also would this motor and tranny be much heavier than the 2.2 currently in a 88 b2200? and would you have to cut any more than a shifter hole for the transmission to fit ( aside from cross member movement) and would i need the speedo cable from the motor transmission i swap for it to work? and any ideas on a wrecked car that would have this motor type in it?and last but not least... i just wanna beat hondas in my truck all day frickin fast an furious hump day fanatics lol.
inlinesicks   +1y
I'm not sure where you live but if you are in the states I don't think there was ever a Nissan here that came with an sr20det so you would have to order one from one of those jdm engine importers. As for weight, it wouldn't be much heavier than the stock engine. Also a custom length drive shaft isn't very expensive to have made. If you run normal tires the rear end will be fine because the tires will break loose before the rear end will give out.

If I were you I'd do a small block swap instead. The engine would be much easier to find and way cheaper plus probably put out double the power. Also you could just run a carb on it so you don't have to worry about all the fuel injection wiring.
thermus   +1y
You can find these cars a lot in the US. They are not just over seas. The 96 and newer Nissan 240 (Silvia) come with red top sr20det's. You want 96 and newer because it has obd2 instead obd1.

Just shop craigslist and ebay. You will find what you're looking for. This is the swap I will be doing as well.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Ah well i was thinking of doing a small v8, but i wanna kinda keep it to its roots as an "import" lol thanks Thermus, that info is much appreciated, and i'd be running normal street tires, cooper cobra radial gt my pick for a street tire. would i even need the obd sensor though if i where to go with a stand alone ignition system?
inlinesicks   +1y

The s14's came with KA24DE's in the states. The sr20det wasn't available in any U.S. model cars.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
So this is a motor tranny setup i'd have to order from overseas? and if so would it be easier to buy it built already the way i want it seeing as it isn't around here be hard to find parts for?
hunterw   +1y
The sr20det was never an option in the us. Only the sr29de was and it was for fwd cars. The infiniti g20 and the sentra se-r but they are probably the most common swap and can be found on ebay and craigslist all day. As far as moving the shifter yes youll have to move the hole back. As far as rear end...wouldn't hurt to change it out. But if you keep the sr20 stock I bet it would handle the power just fine.

I dont know about supercharging an sr though. Never seen it. Do e before I suppose.

I made new motor mounts for mine..the angles were off. Amd that allowed me to keep my stock tranny member and just elongate the holes some. I cut the tranny mount down some though.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Ah well then i just may head in a different motor direction all together and go with a 90's model 240sx motor and transmission since they are setup for rwd already, i know a motor swap is a hassle anyways, but just rather have something already fitted for rwd setups. and i like the way a 240 motor can be built and know they can be supercharged as well. plus rather odd but large amount of them junked around here from rear end wrecks so i may get lucky ad be able buy a whole wrecked car and just go from there with it.
inlinesicks   +1y
If you want a ka24 that bad why don't you just go buy a Nissan pickup lol.
xxchromeghostxx   +1y
Then why don't the guys who V8 swap their trucks go buy full size chevy or ford???

lol, i like the B2200 how it sits and rides and handles even without power steering, i just want a little more beef behind it, the 2.2 is a torqued ass motor imo, ittle " wannabe " Hondas ( you know riced out exhaust and an air intake with rims all they do, prob auto's to boot. just sayin for reference ) but i love getting on the highways here, having one pull beside me and fart at me, i just ease her into 4th, running about 65, let it rip and just walk away from them all day long. But I wanna just be a down an dirty minitruck in my area, not really any out here, yeah a lot of nissans and toyotas and such bagged/dropped/static, etc. but they hardly do any motor work but exhaust.

Sorry for kinda big speel but eh if ya here ya bored so enjoy lmao.But everyones said that the 2.2 is garbage to build to try an get power out of it. so if i wanna have a quick B i wanna motor swap, but I don't wanna V8 i wanna kinda keep it in a true "import" style. I'm not gonna put bags on my truck, i may eventually with the motor swap do a rear end swap to coilovers and disc brakes but try to stay at a 6 lug pattern. There is a disc brake conversion company in NC, i'd have to look up the name again, but they specialize only in rear brake and brake conversions keeping your own axle etc, but I called and they won't even touch my Btruck like wtf, " We only do muscle and older cars no imports at all "