Page 1 of 4
Mazda Engine Swaps \  small block 350

small block 350

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7860
replies 37
following 14

tycashton23   +1y
well im by far not a chevy fan.. but im purchasing a 350 small block and turbo 400 trans on august 29,2012 to put in my 87 b2000 standard cab. looking forward to seeing what all the hyph about these small blocks is about. only downfall is idk where to begin..... im pretty decent with a wrench and some sockets but definately still learning.. some tips on where to start would be great! i will be posting pics asap.
jc50942   +1y
motor mounts first...everything else will fit.
just decide where to put you mounts and you will be golden.
oo7bob   +1y
you will be disappointed with your project and never finish it. sell everything now and buy a camry.

first, you bought an engine your not a fan of???, a transmission that ruled in 1967, and have some grand illusion of hyph?. your bargain purchase is probably about 200 hp, not much "hype" there.

it is a bunch of work, but it can be done.

follow this link to some old directions from a kit designed to pull this swap off (no, can not buy, they are out of business). everything you need is in these directions, read ALL of them, dont make us read it for you.

tycashton23   +1y
a Camry? hahaha I have a cressida now and its alright. why so negitive about the Mazda project ? aren't you a fan of Mazda's or not? (007bob)

and jc50942 thanks for the input! what rear axle should I convert too? I'm not giving up. this is my first project car ever. I'm using it as a learning experience.

thanks, tyler
oo7bob   +1y
sorry ty, i'm old, and angry.

i bought my mazda in 1987, i have been a fan for a couple years.

your gonna need some fabrication skills as well, welding, fitting.

i have a 350 in mine and would more than happy to help you figure out any problems you run into.

thread post photo

thread post photo
dragginmazda86 (dave)   +1y
I too did a SBC swap with a turbo 350 trans in my old mazda. I was going to just run my Toyota axle. Your gonna want to run short water pump front accessories for added clearance, that what I did and lookd like 007bob did also. Mine fit under a stock bubble hood while being BD'ed to the pinch. Heres a few pics of it while being mocked up and a pic of the engine that I was going to use on the stand.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
tycashton23   +1y
haha okay thanks! well the motor I'm getting. looks far from as clean as yours. but it. has potential what should I do to clean the block and intake manifand extirior, I'm probably gonna replace the rest with new. should I gut my entire engine bay of the stock stuff to start?
dragginmazda86 (dave)   +1y
As long as in runs good, you can always clean the engine and paint it to look nice again. I wouldnt say gut the whole bay, just the engine, trans, all clutch parts, and most of the harness on the passenger side wheel well.
jc50942   +1y
I just went a little at a time when i did mine. It was alot of work but well worth it. If you plan on daily driving yours id definitely go to the Toyota rear like these guys said. If not...just run it till it breaks.
tycashton23   +1y
im gonna need a detailed list on what harness stuff to take out. like i said this is a learning experience for me . .. and ill probably do little at a time or just lots of work on weekends. i want to daily drive but want to make sure she is good to go first. what about a nissian rear axle ? or what toyota axle specifically?
p.s. working on pics now.