Page 3 of 3
Mazda Engine Swaps \  5.7L 350 swap done right

5.7L 350 swap done right

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 15397
replies 26
following 18

87chazda   +1y
if you do go to the V-8 you will no longer need the front cross member for the stock motor.
geterdun   +1y
Why not, it holds the front end together > one wheel to the other underneath the engine oil pan, fool-hardy not to use it.
maz2low   +1y
Although I sold my truck Maz2low years ago, figured would post, hope it helps. You do not need a front sump oil pan or firewall modification to fit a 350 into a mazda. You will want to keep crossmember for protection but I would for sure section it down from the 1 1/2 it is now to 1/2 plate but all depends on how low you are. The transmission bellhousing is only thing that hits in tunnel, would recommend clip the 2 ears off and lightly massaging transmission tunnel on passenger side. Easiest route is using a TH350 transmission.

The large chevy Distributor clears without issue but if you get a smaller one your better off, Short water pump, newer style power steering pump helps with clearance, but not needed. Newer S10 steering pumps work perfect. You need a drop base air cleaner if your bodydropped or make a cowl hood like I did. Stock gauges can be used but need to adapt sending units which is easy. Overall its an extremely easy swap.
sincitylocal   +1y
Short water pumps would definitely be a plus, but if you have a reverse rotation water pump(serpentine belt), short pumps aren't available as an option.
347 stroker   +1y
I would love to see the pics... but they wont load.
Ricko1966   +1y
Haven't done a v8 mazda . But have done several other swaps so I am going to pass some tips I think maybe helpful. your factory front crossmember can be lowered with very little modification.I used to take my factory driveshafts to precision built driveshafts in KCMO they would shorten for 1 price balance for additional price and after a while they told me they were usually so close anyway it didn't matter,so now when I do a swap I get bone yard shaft that is closeto the right length if you put it in a chop saw just right you can grind the weld off the tube and remove your front yoke shorten your tube slide the yoke back in the tube and weld it,done. I've flipped heater cores end for end in some applications for heater hose clearance. The front 3/4 or so of an inch on sbc power steering pump and pulley can be ground off for clearance tack weld your pulley to the shaft when done,yes it is a throw away and start again if it ever fails but sbc pumps and pulleys are plentiful.