Page 3 of 3
Mazda Engine Swaps \  V8 swap instructions

V8 swap instructions

Mazda Engine Swaps Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 11700
replies 28
following 15

kovz   +1y
The stock rad could work, but it would need re-cored with at least 3 rows of tight-fin-pattern cooling power.
I used a mustang rad on my truck.

" target="_blank
graphx327   +1y

bump.. Have the same set up.. Not thrilled with the 700r4 and the throttle pressure shifting. might switch to a 400t
sincitylocal   +1y
If you don't use an overdrive transmission, you'll be pushing higher rpms on the freeway.
I use the 700R4 in mine and still wish there was another gear.
graphx327   +1y

what gears do you have in the rear?

I have 2:93's in now and with the overdrive, I'm about 2500 rpm at +-90 mph.
sincitylocal   +1y
I'm running the stock Mazda rear with 3.909.
With a 2.93, you must be using a GM rear.

I plan to change it out for a 10 bolt with a 3.23 gear.
graphx327   +1y
Chrysler 8 3/4 rear, 33 spline. a friend said it is stonger then the ford 9", although I'm sure that would start quite a debate on it's own. It was what was available at the time for the right price.
It has a chevy 327 bored out .30 over with dome pistons, comp cam, vette heads, etc. haven't dyno'd it but guessing its around 425+ the way it sits. I think the overdrive would be better with different gearing. But I glazed 2nd gear cause it wasn't set right and now have to fix the tranny or replace, so I figured maybe change it up.
norcallumps   +1y
8 3/4 would use less power to turn it. people use 9" alot because of the center chunk having the bearing support, and no clips, like the chrysler and it is plentiful. if you dont have the 700r4 cable set right... you will kill it.
sincitylocal   +1y
If you glazed the 2'nd gear band, you can replace the 2'nd gear servo piston(35% more holding power than the Corvette servo) and the 4'th gear servo(50% more holding power than the stock overdrive servo). You can also change the band and drum with a wider set(3/8 of an inch wider than the stock band and has 15% more apply area).

Scan this page...

Norcallumps is right. The proper way to set the cable is, Tight at WOT.
graphx327   +1y
Thanks again for the link! really appreciate the help.
I built the motor, but don't really know much about tranmissions, know anyone in S. FL?

It's been sitting for a little while since I messed up the trans and have been debating on what to do next, but got the bug back to get it on the road.

here's a quick pic of what it looks like right now minus the mirrors and trim.
One cool thing I forgot to mention is the the interior is "walkthrough", the cab is fully open under the topper!
thread post photo