Page 5 of 86
Mazda Projects \  ***SkrapinSask from stock to layin frame***

***SkrapinSask from stock to layin frame***

Mazda Projects
views 147605
replies 852
following 95

immortal1 (linn)   +1y
Good to hear ya got the Weber adjusted and everything is runnign good.
skrapinsask   +1y
Been busy the last few days with family gatherings it being Christmas and all. I made it over to the garage to do a little work today and finished cutting out the passenger fender well, shortened the wiper motor harness wires to tuck into the grommet, pulled the header off to hit it with some VHT header paind and my friend was working on welding up those rear box seams. Not moving as quickly as i would like but I'm really taking my time. I only have another 30 days until the truck has to be driven back to my home 2 blocks away so i wont be getting to really cut into it until it warms up in spring. The engines is pretty messy from all that aluminum/steel dust from grinding.

I did manage to hit up Canadian tire today for a few boxing day specials.
New tool chest so now i have a total of 3 master craft chests,
Vice and 3 steal square work stands to rest my box on to finish
the body work and raise the bed floor. Life time warranty FTW
paparoach1983   +1y
sweet i got tools for christmas too and i cant wait to brake in my new welder lol
skrapinsask   +1y
After realizing how horrible the fitment of the pace setter header with the auto trans was i decided to pull it off the truck and hammer off that lame little end pipe because the end flange hits the trans hard lines and restricts it from going on correctly. I have decided to weld a flange directly after the collectors. I removed the pacesetter badge and have started to scuff the header before its welded then painted. After the suspension is done i will then continue the exhaust and have it end before the box starts.

Does anyone run the pacesetter header bare without a high heat coating? Would it rust/corrode?

skrapinsask   +1y
Stopped by the exhaust shop today and grabbed 10 feet of 2" pipe, 2" flanges and 2" gaskets. I also hit Canadian tire up for a hole saw to relocate my engine harnesses to the outside of the fenders. Picked up a brake line flaring kit to redo the hard lines lines on the passenger side.

droppedmydawg   +1y

They will rust up fast for sure with no coating. I would lay some good exhaust paint on it.
skrapinsask   +1y
Thanks That's good to know, i had never seen anyone on here running them bare
I have some VHT header paint i will hit it with after a scuff and wash but before
i have to weld the flange to the collector because as i said that other end pipe
hits the trans hard lines.
immortal1 (linn)   +1y

Oh I bet there is a few. If I remember right Mikey had one with a beautiful rust brown finish Of course then he went an heat wrapped it and made it look killer!

Just an FYI on a serious note, I have used VHT paint on a stock manifold and it did not seem to hold up very well. Actually tried high heat powder coat and it did not seem to hold up much better. I seams the best thing for headers is ceramic coat (my chrome one is tarnishing pretty bad). Other than ceramic I would guess the heat wrap is probably the next best option.

edit: couple of pics from his build thread
89mazdawg(daniel)   +1y
yeah. i have the pacesetter on my truck. i opted to get it ceramic coated, and its holding up great so far