Page 4 of 4
Mazda Engine General \  Deleting EGR stuff

Deleting EGR stuff

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7922
replies 33
following 6

87mazdamini   +1y
Gave all I could I have no emissions laws where I live.
crawdaddy   +1y
All, I have an 87 B2000 with stock everything. Recently my truck turned 30, and my state allows me to register it as a Vintage vehicle, exempt from emissions. So I took out the front catalytic converter, took off the steel exhaust piping and plugged the pipe and reed valve holes. Although the truck starts and runs well now, it idles high after warmup. Is that related to the vaccum system that I messed with by removing the exhaust tubing? The idle adjust screw doesn't help. It'll make the engine idle higher but not lower. I'd rather not go back to the steel exhaust tubing, but I can't think of another way to resolve the high idle. PS it's timed correctly and has new rotor, cap, and wires.
Cusser   +1y
"All, I have an 87 B2000 with stock everything. Recently my truck turned 30, and my state allows me to register it as a Vintage vehicle, exempt from emissions. So I took out the front catalytic converter, took off the steel exhaust piping and plugged the pipe and reed valve holes. Although the truck starts and runs well now, it idles high after warmup. Is that related to the vaccum system that I messed with by removing the exhaust tubing? The idle adjust screw doesn't help. It'll make the engine idle higher but not lower. I'd rather not go back to the steel exhaust tubing, but I can't think of another way to resolve the high idle. PS it's timed correctly and has new rotor, cap, and wires."

Read posts on Page 1 of this thread. Removing emissions stuff only works well if carb is changed to aftermarket, like the Weber 32/36 DGEV mine has.