Mazda Engine General \  Deleting EGR stuff

Deleting EGR stuff

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7921
replies 33
following 6

mazdatweaker   +1y
post deleted
Post was last edited on May 14, 2009 06:05. This post has been edited 1 times.
87mazdamini   +1y
No you no longer need your o2 or ecu. It depends on how you tune your carb. Cold starts on the weber are a little troublesome but it not that bad just warm it up and your fine.
87mazdamini   +1y
You can also choose to leave your carb heater on and put the weber on top of it.
1dayiwill   +1y
i dont think there will be much gain in power or anything but the throttle response should be better since there will be only fresh air and fuel and that is good when ur pulling a load. maybe im wrong about that, just a seemingly reasonable thought i had.
i will prob end up selling the truck at some point but my situation now is; i have a front end collision 87 ext cab 2.0 that i bought on ebay for 500 about a year ago and ive been treating it like shit since and its a great truck, its not my daily but i abuse it at least twice a week. i more recently bought the same truck with a blown motor and good everything else for 400 and its in my garage now. i will be swapping my good engine into my newer truck soon and think if i take all the egr stuff off it might be a little easier to swap since theres only a million lines to connect and it will look better with a real air cleaner sittin atop the carb. over the winter after i save 1-2gs i plan on putting a bigger engine of some sort in it. this engine will be smog legal.

is the o2 sensor does indeed measure unburned hydrocarbons than that means it measures the a/f ratio. because, if there is unburned fuel then the ratio is off and that should tell the ecu to fix the problem andreturn the ratio to the stochiometric ratio.

now my main misunderstanding is that why can the weber run without the o2 and ecu and the stock carb not. most carb cars dont have ecus, o2 sensor, or cats i believe, once again i may be wrong. so i kind of believe my stock carb should do fine with out the egr stuff, and i would leave the o2 sensor attached btw.

and, do you speak from experience tweaker? just wonder, if not site your sources please. and please dont think im bashing you, i just want to hear from credible sources.

so far everyone has brought new insight to me, thanks all
zenkifc3   +1y
the header eliminates that big cat and all the emissions pipes... so u dont have to cap all that stuff off...the header comes with the bung for the 02 sensor
87mazdamini   +1y
The o2 sensor is obsolete with a weber cause its adjusted with an idle screw and a mixture screw not the ecu.
zenkifc3   +1y
oo ooo ooo i have a question now... the carb heater heats up the intake?

why would u want that.... colder air makes more power.... why use a heater to make it warm... regardless of warming the car up... its gonna keeping warming even after the car is warmed up... so just lose the heater and let the truck warm itself up right?... that is why cars have thermostats... it helps warm the car up without making the intake charge cooler....

tweaker is right bout the power thing... egr is emissions mostly... just makin sure the engine is burning all the excess fuel... removing the egr just cleans the engine bay up a lil, and on higher power cars can make u shoot some flames .... he is also right bout resale... majority of states still have emissions so at least save everything so u can put it back on...

im credible.... i have been working on cars sence i could walk, and have been a certified technician for 6 years... not bein cocky, cause most of the time i dont know a lot... but i doooooo know the basics... and egr's are pretty basic

that made me sound kinda like a dick....lol... thats not how i meant it lol
1dayiwill   +1y
zen- so u think its cool if i rid of everything on top of the carb and plug up egr thing? i dont want to buy a header so i would just leave the cat. i dont think it should run rich or less efficiently if i plug up the egr and remove the shit on top of the carb because i will still have the o2 sensor and ecu working. i just wont be putting 10-15% exhaust gas back into my intake. i believe this is the conclusion i have been trying to reach. any last words anyone?
1dayiwill   +1y

how is egr emissions? making sure the engine isnt running rich is the job of the o2 sensor, correct?

zen-do u use ur o2 sensor with the stock carb and no egr stuff and where did u get the screw that goes in the middle of the carb that holds the air cleaner?
1dayiwill   +1y
any comments? still need some input.