Deleting EGR stuff

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 7920
replies 33
following 6

hocbj23   +1y
Whew.Thanks Elbine.Lol.BJ
1dayiwill   +1y
elbine- When you swap to a weber, you get rid of the ecu?

twisted- Wheres the cold start heating system? You said remove other stuff, does that include the reed valves and the big black bull crap housing that sits on the carb?
elbine69   +1y
You dont have to get rid of the ecu if you do a swap. You could leave it all incase someday you want to put it all back to stock.
1dayiwill   +1y

any explanations?
so far helping with cold starts is the only reason i see in keeping the egr crap
keep the info coming
twisted minis   +1y

I'll have to look at the Mazda tomorrow and see if I can figure it out. I'm not as familiar with them as I am Toyotas. But if I remember right, there should be a housing around the stock manifold, and then a flex line that routes some heat into the intake. Somewhere in front of that port should be a vacuum operated valve. This valve will close itself to most outside air on a cold start, and suck in mostly the hot air coming off the manifold. This usually works in unison with a choke of some sort. Once the motor reaches a good operating temperature and the choke releases, there will no longer be a vacuum going to that valve, and it will open itself to outside air again, collecting from the core support. It is possible to keep this setup with a header too, if you want. I just looked and I don't have any pictures, but I will try to remember to take one for you tomorrow.

But, if you don't mind sitting there and warming your truck up every time, for 5-10 minutes or however long it takes, then feel free to remove it. Its personal preference. I run the stock intake and warm start setup in the winter, and for the summer I will have a custom intake that does not have it, because its warm enough to start most days after 7 AM.
87mazdamini   +1y
I pretty sure there is a carb heater on the mazda's that Heats the carb on cold starts. Its the black thing at the base of the carb with the plug going to it. At least thats what I took off when I put my werber on. Reed valves? What reed valves? Replaced them when I did my header. Only thing I kept was my charcoal canister. Egr valve is there but plugged off till I make the block off plate. I live in Oregon no emissions.
1dayiwill   +1y
87- do u use an o2 sensor or the ecu? do u have trouble with cold starts since you no longer have a warm air intake charge upon cold starting or does the weber have that same thing?
zenkifc3   +1y
im ran stock carb with no egr.... buy a pacesetter header..... a filter from autozone or o'reilly's and ur done... my truck ran great without the egr.... well, till the front main blew and shot oil everywhere...hehehehehe.... but that wasnt cause of the egr mind u...
Cusser   +1y
I have '88 B2200 with the Weber 32/36 DGEV 2 years. I did not use the heater plate under the adapter manifolds (but I live in Arizona); one would need special longer screws (Ace Hardware has those) to use that. I put stoppers in the reed valve rubber hoses, and do have the EGR connected and working, but also made a block off plate for it so I can go that route if desired. The oxygen sensor and ECU are still mounted, but I don't think they do anything any longer as all the carb stuff they controlled is no longer connected.
1dayiwill   +1y
zen- do u use the o2 sensor in ur header? y buy a header?