threads
Page 4 of 4
Mazda Engine General \  Bringing an '86 B2000 back from the dead...

Bringing an '86 B2000 back from the dead...

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 9106
replies 32
following 13

lalunette   +1y
Well, I bought a third carb from a local boneyard for $50. Slapped it in and... presto... smooth idle on the first try.

Obviously my eBay carb was also defective, with a vacuum leak somewhere.

The truck has been running and idling like a champ.

Things done recently:

-Painted hood and passenger side fender
-Sanded passenger door

Things I will do tomorrow:

-Paint passenger door
-Sand driver side fender
-Change driver side door (bottom half of door has separated due to rust)
-Sand and paint new driver side

I am using Armor Coat paint - Fire Engine Red. I'm sanding off the shitty black paint job the previous owner put on. It's peeling off due to poor prep work - clear coat from factory paint job not sanded off so the black paint is peeling off.

I'm using 80 grit sandaper on one of those pointy sanders with the velcro bottom. Once the black paint is gone and the clear coat from the factory job is all scratched up, I clean the surface real well and apply a base coat of Armor Coat. I wait until it is dry to the touch, sand any high spots, clean, and apply a second coat. Usually this is enough.

The beauty with using Armor Coat (same thing as Rustoleum) is that I don't have to prime or clear coat... this stuff is "al in one". Okay, so this isn't a paint job I would show at a car show but you have to remember that my truck is a true "work truck" and I don't want to have to worry about my paint job every time I'm on a job site. I just want the truck to look presentable...

I will post pics real soon to show my "new" red work truck.
maztang (ryan)   +1y
cool man gald to hear you got it running. i would like to see what that paint job looks like.
zombie   +1y
My b series is a undead chaser. Lol
post photo