threads
Page 3 of 4
Mazda Engine General \  Bringing an '86 B2000 back from the dead...

Bringing an '86 B2000 back from the dead...

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 9107
replies 32
following 13

bumpin_b2200   +1y
in my opinion it sounds like you should get a weber )
lalunette   +1y

Too rich for my blood...

Don't forget, the truck cost me $1 and, so far, I've spent maybe $100 for a new battery, plugs, filters, etc... so I can't justify to myself spending $300 US or more on a Weber...

I'll keep checking ebay and the local wreckers for a carb and hope for the best.

Cheers !!
midnightmike   +1y
what sucks is i scrapped a truck with a mint carb on it, ebay has a carb on it now
lalunette   +1y

Well, I've found a carb from an 87 B2000. It's arriving from Mississippi next week (mid-January 06). It cost me $25 U.S. and the seller assures me this carb worked fine until the truck it was in was rear-ended...

Here's hoping this works out !!
lalunette   +1y
Weather was awesome today and we worked on the B2000 all day.

First we (my 15 year old son and I) installed new rear shocks (easy), started to install the new bed (not so easy) and swapped the carb I bought on eBay for $25.

The good news is... the B2000 RUNS !!!

We where so happy we did a quick dash down up and down the backlane to celebrate... even though the truck wasn't licensed or insured... I couldn't help myself !!!

The only thing I need to check is the idle... it is WAY too high...

Anyone have any tips on checking the idle on an 87 Mazda B2000 ??

We plan on finishing the bed by the end of the weekend 'cause the truck is going in for a safety inspection next week prior to being insured.

Cheers !!
lalunette   +1y
Update on April 19, 2006

The B2000 was in for its safety yesterday .

The tech only found 3 things wrong:

1. It needs 2 tires in the front
2. There is a faulty connection to left brake light
3. The blower motor is burnt out

All three issues will be resolved today and the truck will be ON THE ROAD !!!

I will post pics tonite after I get it back home.

P.S. The idle is high because of a vacuum leak. I need a new mounting plate for the carb. NAPA has one for $5.

Cheers !!
slammedmini469   +1y

u mean you actually have to have a working blower motor to pass inspection up there?

glad to hear its up and running!
lalunette   +1y

Yup!!

I couldn't believe it myself until the tech explained that, if it was winter, I wouldn't be able to defrost my windshield... which makes all kind of sense when you consider that Manitoba has some winter days were the temp. drops to -40 F, which is the same as -40C.

Turns out the blower motor was well and truly fried, as well as the resistor... so I had them replace the blower with a used one and coughed up $47 CDN for a resistor...

The truck is now sitting in my driveway and I'll be changing the mounting plate for the carb tonite.

Cheers !!
slammedmini469   +1y
you could do like i did when the blower died on my car, carry a rag to wipe it with
lalunette   +1y

Well, I changed the carb mounting plate but I'm still getting a vacuum leak 'cause the truck still idles way too fast...

Help, what else can I check??

It's an 87 with manual everything... and no A/C.

Any suggestions? What should I check next?