threads
Page 1 of 4
Mazda Engine General \  Bringing an '86 B2000 back from the dead...

Bringing an '86 B2000 back from the dead...

Mazda Engine General Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 9099
replies 32
following 13

lalunette   +1y
This summer (July 2005) my brother gave me an '86 B2000 that hadn't run in 3 years. I found all kinds of recommendations on the 'net about starting carbureted vehicles after they've been sitting for a year or more. I followed all the advice (new battery, new plugs, new fuel filter, new air filter, new fuel, squirting oil in the cylinders, , etc.). I even removed and cleaned out the gas tank which was full of "goop". No joy!!

I then put gas directly in the carb and, voilà, the truck started right up... and then died.

I deduced that the fuel pump must have kicked the bucket so I ordered a new one... and received it yesterday. This weekend, I'm going to attempt to remove the old pump and install the new one. I have the Mazda Haynes manual but the instructions are pretty simple. Looking around the motor for the location of the fuel pump I noticed that part of the housing that holds the air filter covers the fuel pump and could make removal and installation difficult.

Any hints out there on the best way to proceed? I'm a novice that's about to get his hands dirty.

Thx !!
mullet   +1y
Well it depends which fuel pump you have.. on my b2200 its engine driven.. right behind the cab below the intake manifold. Also, if the gas tank was full of goop, then more than likely your fuel filters and whatnot are filled with it too. Best thing to do is take off the fuel line out of the carb and if you have an eletric fuel pump.. turn the key and see if fuel is coming (use a cup to catch it). Change your fuel filters and anything else you think might be clogged up. Then try again. If your getting gas.. it could be something else. You also might want to think about cleaning your carb. Take it off, seperate the upper and lower sections and clean out the jets and whatnot.
Mike
lalunette   +1y
Well, I've already changed the fuel filter and cleaned out the lines. The carb is also clean... What I'm not geting is fuel, ergo my diagnosis of a dead fuel pump...

I should have mentioned that I have a mechanical fuel pump, located near the firewall, on the left hand side of the engine block, when you're standing face to the truck.

What I'm looking for are pointers, etc. on changing the mech. fuel pump.

Cheers !!
nytrdr24   +1y
there should be a couple of screws/nuts that hold the air cleaner element/housing to the carb, remove those, and the one holing it to the valve cover, and the element/housing should come off thus making it easy to get to the two bolts that hold the mech. fuel pump to the head.remove the two bolts, pull the pump, clean the surface on the head where the gasket was making sure not to get any trash in the head. replace new pump/gasket hook up the fuel lines prime the carb, and give r a crank!

hope this helps..
lalunette   +1y
Thank you, this is helpful.

Like I said, this is my first automotive project.

Forecast calls for sun on Saturday so my 15 year old son and I are going to give it a try...

I'll let you know what happens, as well as include some pics of the truck... if possible.
baggedb22   +1y
Let us no how everything goes!
lalunette   +1y
Well, the new mech. fuel pump has been installed, the carb primed and the key turned...

The B2000 sprang to life... and then died... The fuel pump is working fine but the gas is not reaching the carb.

Thus it appears the carb was the problem all along... Looks like it's going to need a good cleaning.

Well, that's for tomorrow...
lalunette   +1y

Bonjour Mike,

Anything more precise to add about cleaning the carb?

I'm going to try that so any indications would be helful.

Cheers !!
impulse   +1y
Whoa another winnipegger on here!!!!
lalunette   +1y

You betcha !!

My brother gave me his '86 B2000 that was sitting in his yard for 3 years.

I've tried everything I know to get it started but... no joy!!

As a last resort I'm going to contact CTire & Holmes (on Ellice) to see how much they want to clean/renew the carb and get the truck running.

Any sugestions from your end??