threads
Page 4 of 5
Dually Engine \  Which engone swap to do??

Which engone swap to do??

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 4478
replies 43
following 13

bagged dually   +1y
For what you'll spend doing an LS swap wouldn't it be better in the long run to go with a diesel instead? Or do you just prefer gas engines? I know diesel is t for everyone but the more I look into it the more I'm kicking myself in the ass for not doing it sooner. Around my area I can get an entire cummins powered dodge truck with fairly low miles for about 3k and have basically everything I need to do the swap. After its all said and done ill still have my factory bbc and drivetrain to sell along with a dodge truck to part out. So all in all I can recoup a ton of the initial investment. Might actually be cheaper than messing with the LS swap especially after all the parts to make it run in one of these old trucks.
comegetsome   +1y
Well heres the deal with mine.....i bought a 2003 sierra truck brand new in high school and over the next several years it tranformed into a show truck layin body on 26s(in 2006 before everybody and there mama had one)....after i got rear ended the motor and trans come out flr a rebuild and later on truck was sold and motor stayed....well few years later the motor ended up in my dually cause it was lighter and more mpg over 454....well now that i found anothertruck already with a cummins swap for 3500 bucks...i drove this truck home with zero work involved on my part so i couldnt turn it down....and im blown away by the fuel mileage over what my new denali truck is getting....if i was about to invest the money in a motor swap i would def go with the diesel cause it will pull almost anything you wanna hook to it
nandrus   +1y
I did a cummins swap in my 90 c3500 and I love it. I have been driving it for about 9 months. It is a pretty easy swap for the most part. I love the fact that you can get great mileage and still have tons of power to do anything.
krewzlo   +1y
Will a cummins swap fit under the stock hood on a c/k body style body dropped? Got my wheels spinning now....
nandrus   +1y
I dont have any clearance issues but my truck isnt body dropped. I do have a lot more room to work under the hood.
leedogg   +1y
The swap to diesel is far from cheap. The only swap i'd consider would be a 12v Cummins. I have yet to find a SFBD'ed square(my plans eventually) with one due to the height of the motors. Automatics don't stand a chance behind one from what I've read. I found one local to me, a P7100 injection 6bt, 2500 bucks. not too shabby. but then i'd need to convert the truck to standard shift, buy a trans $$$...I am guessing 5000 bucks or so to swap one in a truck that MAY see 2-5K miles a year.

I can buy a decent mileage 5.3L for ~500 bucks, and spend 1300 for everything to install it with a carb. 1700 bucks, done.

I am sure both estimates are low. but not too far off.

No doubt- money no object, diesel is the way to go. I'd love to have a 6.7 cummins adapted to a Allison trans...that would rock!
bagged dually   +1y
Cheapest way to go for a 6bt swap is just to find a 93+ dodge 2wd truck. I can find them locally for around 3k and up. If ya buy the whole truck you basically have what you need other than a few odds and ends. Plus sell off what's left and make a shit load back.
only driving a couple of thousand miles a year though it really wouldn't be worth it.

I'm ready to have a 6BT in my truck now and see what kind of power I can get out of it. I have a friend that had a 1996 dodge 1 ton flat bed with a 6BT and some minor work with a 5 speed behind it and that thing was fast.
bagged dually   +1y
Sorry I was wrong on that. Upon further research the truck to find would be a 1988 and up. Not 1993.
comegetsome   +1y
my new truck has an automatic....seems to shift great so far....the guy that had it before me put an assload of work miles on it with a 400 gallon fuel tank in the bed and 600 more gallons on a trailer behind it....stayed like that for 3 1/2 years every day and hes never done anything beside service it and change fuel filters......i mean the 88-93s only had 160ish hp and 400lb of torque....not near as hard on a tranny as the newer motors....and also check out this build thread he got a 12 valve under the stock hood layin body....not sure how but its there