Page 1 of 8
Dually Projects \  1988 R30 Crew Soon to be Dropped

1988 R30 Crew Soon to be Dropped

Dually Projects
views 21610
replies 71
following 9

ghostwhite   +1y
Hey guys, I've tried to read every thread and build on relative to Squarebodys and then bought myself a 1988 R30. I have been a c10/c30 fan for a long time and have a relatively stock 1962 single cab long bed c10 back home in ND.

The plan for this truck is bagged, 22" semis, and a body drop. I'm going the Porterbuilt route up front and probably MMW 4 link out back. I have my dropmember on order with a build time of 4-10 weeks. I plan on ordering some stock sized aftermarket lower arms when my dropmember gets closer to being done but may end up redoing it with extended arms in the future. I want to be able to run bagged on stock rims until I can order the semis.

Would also love to do a Cummins swap but donor availability will be the deciding factor there, I have a 1980 Trans am I'm trying to sell to pay for that.

Here is the truck and I will try and keep it updated as things change.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Its has a 454 and TH400(with a tailshaft leak) and the power steering gearbox leaks!
Post was last edited on May 20, 2014 06:05. This post has been edited 2 times.
ghostwhite   +1y
And I live in south Las Vegas and am currently baggin my toyota so we'll see how it all fits in timewise.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
ghostwhite   +1y
Finally a brief update!

Parts are arriving and getting organized. Still working on the toyota and haven't gotten much done due to lots of overtime at work. Hoping to get back on the toyota so I can start on the Dually.

Porterbuilt
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Western spindles
thread post photo

Most of the MMW stuff showed up fairly rusty.
thread post photo

Front bags are enroute, still gotta decide on rears. I want to go over the axle for weight so maybe a HD sleeved bag, gotta find something.
dajizz   +1y
Hell yeah! Both projects looking like fun! And if at all possible, especially if you are driving the dually more than rarely, put that Cummins in! I'm putting mine together and can help you out if needed
krewzlo   +1y
Bad ass truck! keep the pics coming as you start building.
ghostwhite   +1y
I have been on craigslist everyday trying to find the right truck for a cummins donor, there has been a few options but nothing solid. My best options have been work trucks and I can't have anything that looks commercial in my neighborhood.
ghostwhite   +1y
I think I finally found a donor for my engine.

thread post photo

thread post photo

Its a 98 12V cummins motor and probably a at545 Allison trans with air-ride and airbrakes, I would assume it has an onboard compressor built in. I am going to check it out this weekend.

I am finally cleaning out my garage to get started on my dually as well. I got my toyota finished and have been itching to get this thing started.

thread post photo

Already picked up the 4"x3" .240 wall steel for the SFBD.

thread post photo

And got most everything ordered to convert the SRW 14B axle I picked up to disc brakes using the Dually hubs, making it C&C length when everything is done.

I just gotta find somewhere to park one of my vehicle so I can park my dually in the garage sideways! I am working on that now.
dajizz   +1y
Yeah buddy! Glad you are back on it! If you plan to stick with the engine compressor, depending on the model, you can fit the "Chevy" style mounts in. Or you can go my route with some extra fab work. Is it still the p-pumped motor?
ghostwhite   +1y
Right now it entirely whole as pictured above, it has the engine compressor/steering pump unit but the steering pump would have to be modified for less flow. I don't know if I can find anyone to mod it or tech to mod it myself.
dajizz   +1y
Any hydraulic shop can turn the pressure down. Its just a matter for shimming the pressure relief. You can contact my work out in Henderson.call Sunbelt Rentals service dept for shops that can help you out. Easy job that will take an hour or so to shim and pressure test. I will be doing the same to my pump in the next couple weeks