Page 1 of 9
Dually Projects \  JJ's L31 dually..

JJ's L31 dually..

Dually Projects
views 19486
replies 87
following 21

john jones   +1y
Hello all... Happy new year! Long time lurker and dually owner. But never had "the one". Never had semi's, never had a BD dually either.. I spent the last 5 years or so driving a square body with static slam... But was always looking and lusting after that "bucket list" truck. Collected some 22's, adapters.. and was ready to make the next prchase.. some arms and 4 link and cross member.. After watching how much work it is to build one of these big ass trucks.. I decided to buy something "done".. So this truck popped up and looked like it was everything I wanted.. SFBD, 24's and even a short bed... and run and drove!!! I was always a little concerned about buying a truck with massive work already done.. But the truck had originally been built by Devious Customs.. I felt good about that and decided to do it.. So.. big stack of cash and a drive to Tulsa.. and I had my bucket list truck.

thread post photo

I got it home.. and drove it a few days.. and just kept having lots of little issues... It wasn't quite a "driver" IMO.. So... I tore it down some..

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john jones   +1y
cleaned up the bed... Built new fender bracing.. reinforced the bed where it loooked like a roll pan was once welded.. fixed a few things.. missed a few things.. and painted it Dove BLue,

easy peice done!
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john jones   +1y
back to the truck... Stripped wiring and what not.. cut off old pan hard mounts, cleaned up edges, cut off old tank mounts, compressor mounts etc.. and put some shake and shoot on the frame..
thread post photo

thread post photo

Some new bags,
thread post photo

thread post photo
john jones   +1y
air ride.. I wanted simple, reliable, serviceable. So we went with 1/2 stainless hardline with a few feet of braided stainless going to the front bags. All An, Parker 5/8 valves.. All stuff the we buy at the Parker store here locally. Nice if you need something right now. and the valves are rebuildable etc. blah blah. I guess it's kinda old style stuff. I wanted everything in the bed in case I had to repair or fix some shit with it on the ground.. I like nitrogen because it is clean air.. and consistent pressure..
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john jones   +1y
now.. we had rerouted wiring fixed anything not acceptable etc... it was time to start working on the cab so we could put it back together.. Had to get the bed and back of cab painted so we could get the bed on so we could put the air ride in the bed...
thread post photo

Sealer
thread post photo

L31.. Dove Blue
thread post photo

thread post photo

BAM!!!! Painted dually... It's not primo.. but I feel like this is just a mock up paint job.. I'll put a few fresh coats on the outside when spring gets here.. and work out all the little shit one by one, do blends or panels.. then when it's all perfect.. da down with 600.. 3 coats.. ahhh. smooth..
thread post photo

Now on to parts.

I panel bonded the stock 4x4 flares on... seemed like an ok idea.
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Hung parts back on...
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john jones   +1y
back to a driver.. ahhhhhhhhh!!!
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

trimmed a valance down for it.. like it.. but already broke it...
thread post photo
john jones   +1y
Then it snowed... I drove it in the snow.. packed my fender wheels... with snow.. which then shorted my battery out... Thats no bueno.. had to fix it.. it was a TOTAL whore to get that battery out of it in the snow.. and I don't think I could have got jumper cables in it if I wanted too.. DAMNIT! Thank goodness my valves where in the bed.. I just grabbed a drill battery, some wire and pop, pop.. shit was up.. easy, servicable in a pinch.
thread post photo

thread post photo

Cut a whole, made a box.. Not sealed.. but. would be hard for it pack it on top of the battery.. and if it did... i now have a removable cover and can jump it or change it.. no problem!
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
john jones   +1y
So then I decide to build some boxes to go over my manifolds and such to protect them from snow ice, water, sun damage, etc.. it's the only place I have any plastic line too.. the 1/8 going to my gauges. so I want it protected.. but removable!

thread post photo

thread post photo

why stop there... Lets make this thing reliable..Next, front wheel wells.. to protect the engine and wiring and electrical etc.. I will make some other closing panels in time.. but they are more for finish.. not functionality..
thread post photo
john jones   +1y
front wheel wells..

got side tracked building something to cover the regulator etc.
thread post photo

it was hard to decide where to start.... humm.. I am Super glad they decided to put this cage around the engine.. I basically built panels between the bars to each end and and tops...
I just pushed it as far in and as far up as I could... Kept it simple and got it done. My tires touch my tubs, my tubs almost touch my hood.. this is it.. no more room..
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

It's tight in there..
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

Before...
thread post photo

Now.. Seems a little "boxy" to me... but.. I can change, improve on it later.. I still feel like I am just trying to make it an all season cruiser right now.. I could even just change the tops and leave the sides.. They are independant the way I slid them together. so.. I am not stuck with this design. it may grown on me..
thread post photo

thread post photo

and so now my thread is all caught up to date... I bought the truck first of October.... Done.. but.. but not quite.. So ever since then I have been working on it every time I have a chance.. I have driven it some.. but not enough yet!!!!!! I want to get it dialed in... I want to give a big shout out to Devious Customs and tell em Thanks.. The work they did was solid! I love the rear end.. I love the lack of pan hard bar..it rides like a caddy!!! The gas tank, the front end, the body drop. EVERYthing about this truck is custom.. These trucks are such a huge project, That I think sometimes it takes a few sets of hands to finally get it "done".. They are massive projects. Thanks again for everyone who got it to the point it was before I got it.. I love it.!

Time to paint!
thread post photo
dzl1   +1y
Great pics! Great build thread. Keep them coming. Truck looks Badass!

DZL1.