threads
Page 4 of 4
Dually Engine \  HELP!!!! Truck wont start..

HELP!!!! Truck wont start..

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 2754
replies 33
following 5

someotherguy   +1y
If you want to retain the ability to run a remote start, you're going to need the bypass, or go ahead and see if Passlock can be tuned out of the PCM.

If you use the bypass just do a better job of installing it than the previous hacks. You can do your own, no need to buy one, same basic thing the other guys did just do it better. Measure the resistance at the tumbler, check it a few times to be sure you're getting a consistent reading, snag a resistor the same value and put it in-line. Just solder it and heat shrink it instead of taping it. You'll need to be careful how you shove it around because the solid leads on the resistor will break if it gets bent around too much.

If it were me I'd be talking to the PCM tuners and see if removing Passlock is a reality; send it in for that and while they're at it do the regular power mods, get rid of torque management, delete rear O2 sensor dependency in case your catalytic converters fell off, etc.

Richard
tuckin22   +1y
So if i have it tuned and get the "regular" power mods done. Is that better than the hypertech programer deal?
And who would you or anyone recommend?
If I do the pcm tune will I still be able to use the programmer for the dtc reader?
I know you might not know all the answers but figuerd Id ask.

I might go this route regardless cause this way I dont have to worry about whether it was done right or have to worry about being careful when doing work in that area.

Thanks Man I really appreciate it. yours and everyones help.

Thanks
Robert
someotherguy   +1y
Having a custom tune (by people that know what they're doing) is pretty much always going to get you better results than any plug-in programmer.

I haven't had an OBD-II PCM flashed yet but the names I see everybody using are: Wester's Garage, Nelson's Garage, PCM4LESS, Wait4me, may be some others. I'd ask around a bit and see who says what.

You generally have to send off your PCM for them to flash it then send it back. Some of them will offer a service where you pay a deposit and they'll send you the PCM up front, then you get the refund when you send your old one back.

Be sure you talk with them in great detail about what you expect out of the tune. Tell them how you use the truck, whether or not you're open to spending extra for higher grade gasoline (lets them run more spark advance), whether your catalytic converters are still present or if they're removed and the rear O2's aren't hooked up, stuff like that.

You'll probably also want to measure your tire's rolling circumference so you know how big the tire really is, instead of what the manufacturer specs show - not always the same. Mark your tire, and the ground, at exactly 6 o'clock position. Roll the truck so that the mark makes 1 revolution. Mark the ground again at that spot. Measure between, and write that number down. Get your gear ratio number too, which will probably be a 4.10:1 in your case, but check the RPO codes in your glovebox sticker (GT5=4.10). Top gear ratio in your 4L80E is 0.75:1. The reason you want all this crap is so they can be sure your speedometer will be accurate.

Won't change your ability to use a regular scan tool to read codes, sensor data, etc. Whether or not someone's plug-in programmer will still work? I'd guess it should if it just has a scan mode without trying to add its changes to the parameters; I've never used one of those that way so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Richard
tuckin22   +1y
Cool man I appreciate your input I will probably go ahead and look into this and see what happens.

I could probably go ahead and change out my cam when I do this to so that would be an extra bonus. I have been wanting to do this just dont know what to go with and who. plus I heard you need to tune the ecu when doing so... so this would just give me an extra incentive.

I do use what is it 95 octane anyways so the higher price gas thing wouldnt bother me. So this would probably mean they could do even more to the ecu. more power haha

Thats good to know about the info I will need to know. I will try to find out as much as I can for this.

Thanks again to all of you guys I really appreciate it.

Thanks
Robert