threads
Page 2 of 4
Dually Engine \  HELP!!!! Truck wont start..

HELP!!!! Truck wont start..

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 2752
replies 33
following 5

krewzlo   +1y
Are you using factory keyless entry or the alarm to unlock your doors? If you are using the alarm, they may not have the wire hooked up to disarm the factory alarm causing it to not to start and triggering the security light.

Just another thought.

You can go to for wiring diagrams for your truck as far as security and r/s systems.
tuckin22   +1y
Alright so... You might be right there is a "bypass" sorta but the didnt use a module. iT LOOKS TO BE MAKE SHIFT....
Check out these pics.

tuckin22   +1y
I DONT KNOW IF YOU CAN REALLY READ MY NOTES THAT I MADE ON THE PICS
BUT THE YELLOW WIRE FROM THE TUMBLER IS CAPPED OFF.

THE MAKESHIFT BYPASS IS ONNECTED TO THE ORANGE/BLACK WIRE AND THEN THAT GOES TO THE OTHER END OF THE YELLOW WIRE GOING TO WHAT I WOULD GUESS AS THE BCM.

THE MAKESHIFT BYPASS IS ONLY SPLICED INTO THE ORANGE/BLACK WIRE.

THOSE TWO QUICK SPLICES I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE THEY GO AND/OR WHAT USED TO GO THERE.

SORRY FOR THE ALL CAPS
IM JUST USED TO KEEPING IT LOCKED

THANKS
ROBERT
krewzlo   +1y
Yup that was the broke ass way to do it. My guess is either the connections are bad or the homemade by pass. I would first take that out and reconnect the wires the way they were factory, eliminating the bypass and see if you still have the problem. If not, and you still want r/s, go buy the correct module and install it correctly using soldered connections. Those wires are very sensitive and will not allow the truck to run if not connected correctly. Start there, then maybe check the disarm wire for the factory alarm if you are using non factory keyless entry. Keep us updated with progress or lack of....

I like tinkering with this kind of stuff and would like to know the solution so if I run into it sometime, I know what to look for.
tuckin22   +1y
OK I WILL TRY IT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. ALSO WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THE FACTORY DISARM WIRE? WHERE IS THIS? I WILL TRY TO FIND A DIAGRAM BUT HAVENT FOUND ONE YET. HAVENT REALLY LOOKED THOUGH TO BE HONEST...

THANKS
ROBERT
krewzlo   +1y

There you go, they are not showing the 98's have a factory alarm, but the 99's did. Not sure if there info is correct. If you look here the diagram for a 99 it lists it as a light green at the keyless entry module. When you unlock the doors with a factory remote, this wire will show a neg for a second, thus disarming the factory alarm. If you use an aftermarket keyless entry/alarm/rs to unlock your doors you need to trigger this wire to ground when the key fob button is pushed. Other wise the truck thinks the factory alarm is still active and will go into lockout mode until unlocked with a factory fob. I can't remember where the keyless module is on these trucks though. Someotherguy I would imagine would know though.
tuckin22   +1y
OK COOL SOUNDS GOOD I WILL LOOK INTO THAT AS WELL.

SO I DISCONNECTED THE RIGGED BYPASS AND NOW THE REMOTE START WONT WORK PERIOD...
THE KEY SEEMS TO WORK FINE BUT THE REMOTE START WONT IT GOED INTO THAT "LOCKOUT MODE" OR WHATEVER YOU CALL IT.

NOW TTHE SECUTRITY LIGHT IS STILL ON AND CONSTANT BUT IT WONT THROW THE CODE CAUSE I JUST TRIED TO PULL THEM AND IT SAID NO DTC REPORTED...
SO WHAT COULD THIS ISSUE BE.

AS FAR AS THE REMOTE START NOT WORKING TO GET IT TO WORK NOW I BASICALLY WOULD JUST HAVE TO GET A MODULE?

THANKS
ROBERT
tuckin22   +1y
OK SO ANOTHER THING I NOTICED IS THE SECURITY LIGHT IS ON ALL THE TIME BUT REAL DIM IT IS NOT AS BRIGHT AS WHEN YOU TURN THE TRUCK ON INITIALLY.

I DID TURN THE TRUCK ON WITHOUT THE LITTLE YELLOW WIRE CONNECTED AND THE SECURITY LIGHT STAYED CONSTANT BUT BRIGHT.
SO I WONDER IF IT IS SOMETHING ELSE NOW.
krewzlo   +1y
Does it have factory keyless entry? If so then that disarm wire should be connected to the factory module. Even when trying to start with r/s, it needs to disarm the factory security. You may be getting the light because of that?? Not sure.

Yes you will need to get a bypass module to get the r/s to work. I prefer directed stuff. I have had other brands and have issues with them losing memory and other issues. What brand r/s is it?

Without the bypass, the r/s should try to start or start for a second and shutdown. Is it trying?

Are you getting the light using the key? Try erasing everything and first thing, with the doors unlocked, try with the key and see if the light comes on, stays on, comes on and goes off, or blinks. if it doesn't stay on or blink, try it with the r/s and see if that triggers the light.
krewzlo   +1y
It shouldn't of started with the yellow disconnected...

Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes or so. The light should go out when reconnected. Try starting with the key and see what happens with it. Light stays on? Blinks?

Not sure on the dim or bright light, never heard of that happening, is anything else on the dash dimmed as well?

I am going to be off the internet for a few hours. If you get in a jam and need some help, I will pm you my cell#. Give me a shout, I can try and help over the phone. I may not answer the first try as I will be out splitting firewood and won't hear my phone, but I will call back when I take a break.