Page 1 of 3
Dually Engine \  Electrical nightmare :(

Electrical nightmare :(

Dually Engine Dually Tech
views 2479
replies 28
following 9

58deluxerag   +1y
Looking for some advice, dash gauges are going crazy, needles going back and forth. Sometimes hit a bump and they go back to normal fuction. Power windows & locks don't work either, when I push a button on the door, the gauges go crazy. and the door niether unlocks or locks and the windows don't move. My truck doesn't have daytime running lights, but for some reason my brights stay on really dim all the time, when I turn the lights on and use the brights, one goes out.

There is a bunch of rigged up wiring, thinking of undoing it all and trying to start over. I have a factory service manual coming here shortly, hoping that helps a bit. All sound like grounding issues?
shpaint1   +1y
yes i would say its a grounding issue, make sure the ground link between the cab and frame is good and the one between the battery and frame
58deluxerag   +1y
Check and check, both ground cables are there and connected.
liljlowrider   +1y
gunna sound crazy but you might want to CHANGE your main ground from the battery to the chassis... sometimes they will actually corrode(spelling?) inside the insulation so it will look good but actually be loosing ground....
burntup   +1y
have you taken the seats out? the reason I ask is I had problems once when the power wire for the seats got pinched between the seat and the cab floor. I know that sounds crazy
58deluxerag   +1y
Ground cable looks new, but I'll try that.

Burntup, I think it has defferent front seats in it now from when you had it. has some '95 and later buckets, power doesn't work on them, don't even think it's hooked up. I'll take a look though.

Sucks when I peek around this truck all I see is problems. yesterday, found a air line pinched off with some vice-grips, that's when I went inside and quit working on it. A little bummed I gave what money I did for this turd. All I can tell myself is, "it'll be good eventually." lol
lockone   +1y
More than likely a ground problem somewhere in the wiring. I had a 94 Cheyv that did the same and it ended up being the main ground and one of the many grounds behind the dash.
58deluxerag   +1y
Still waiting on my factory service manual before I dive head first into it, but I did find the main harness resting and melted on the left side exhaust header. Though that was really awesome. Should have been relocated after the bodydrop. Not my original work, I just get to fix it. Surprised this truck has made it this far like that.
burntup   +1y
when I got rid of it I had just put some Pontiac Sunfire seats in it. they sat real low to the floor. Do you remember the guys name you bought it from?
58deluxerag   +1y

Buddy in Orlando, Randy Frederick.

Got my service manual today, not many good wiring diagrams in there. Anyone got some they can maybe scan and copy for me? Started tearing the dash apart and removing unneeded wires.