Page 2 of 4
Mazda Engine Performance \  Efi swap, amassing parts

Efi swap, amassing parts

Mazda Engine Performance Mazda Engine Mazda Tech
views 2474
replies 32
following 5

mazdatweaker_2   +1y
You will probably need to use a vacuum gauge to locate a source of ported vacuum. You can't use manifold vacuum. You are also going to need a coolant thermosensor in order for you to have enough fuel delivery at the injectors when the truck is cold. I found a Kia SOHC which I got out of a parts yard that was located in the housing that runs behind the timing belt.
sincitylocal   +1y
I seem to remember a guy who located a port in the throttle body, and built an air dam ahead of it. He got it to work decently, but I'm not convinced a vacuum advance distributor is the way to go. I'd definitely spend more time locating an efi distributor.
fdugn545   +1y
So I am torn right now between getting an efi distributor or using a ford edis setup with a trigger wheel and just removing the distributor all together. Does anyone know what the wiring is for the efi distributors? Also any ideas of what type or trigger system the distributors use I'm assuming it's a hall effect sensor, but I don't know if it'll. Work with the megasquirt.

Outside of that I still don't know what type of iac these motors have, and until know I can't continue the megasquirt build. Anyways I thank you all for the replies.
FoxFamilyCustomz   +1y
I have a few 2.2 efi parts left around from the few ive torn apart..

I think I have a dist.. a fuel pump with the tank thing it sits in ..

The dist used the same plug as a 2600i but so much is different..

Is way closer to a 2600i wiring harness than a carbarated harness..

Ive swapped a few trucks to carbarated because parts are so hard to get
fdugn545   +1y
As far as the full wiring harness goes I'll be eliminating the entire truck engine harness most likely or just trying into the main fuse. But my main concern is what wires on the actual sensors and such go so I know how to wire them to my megasquirt.

Im still not sure if I'll be going ford edis ignition or trying to figure out the distributor situation.

Thanks again for the advice and replies!
ninjarider   +1y
@fdugn545-Do you know if your vacuum advance in your dizzy even works? I ask this because a few months ago I was tracing down an issue on my b2000 and found out mine wasn't working. I searched hi and low for a new one and couldn't find one. I eventually found one for a 2.2L motor and modified the actuator arm to work in my dizzy. I wrote a little piece about how I had to modify it in another thread on this site. I'll see if I can get the link to that thread.
http://www.mazdabscene.com/threads/141246
The reason I ask this is if yours is not working then you may be better off choosing the EDIS4 setup.

I have been contemplating doing nearly the same thing you are doing. I've tossed around doing a V8 and a V6 swap, but I think for less money the SOHC 8V carb'd FE motors can be converted to EFI for little money in comparison to a V8/V6 swap. The way I am thinking about doing mine is NOT a sequential port injection but a hybrid of multi-port. Basically I'm going to cut and weld two injector bungs halfway down the intake runners just before they split to the two intake ports. This should make the carb'd intake still retain some of it's design functionality as a wet flow intake. (I remember reading in some hot rod mags years ago that an intake designed for wet flow, ie. carb intake, doesn't flow as well when converted to a dry flow system.) Hence why I said my idea will be a hybrid. The injectors will fire as a batch system like the TBI's and early TPI systems. As for controlling the throttle I will fab an adapter for a single throttle plate that will be between 40-50mm in size. My whole plan/idea is to this on a junkyard budget with parts from various different OEM vehicles. The biggest expense will be getting the MQ2 or MicroSquirt hardware. Eventually I plan to turbo it with a small Subaru or Mitzu unit with no more than about 10 psi max. The one difficulty I running into is the same as you. How to control the ignition for boost? I've considered contacting some of the aftermarket ignition companies to see if they can take my OEM dizzy housing and put new electronic controls with the ability to be controlled by ECM. Thus doing away with the vacuum advance and giving it much greater adaptability.
Post was last edited on Mar 29, 2018 04:03. This post has been edited 2 times.
ninjarider   +1y
The injector bungs will go approximately where those center circle markings are located pointed toward the intake ports.
post photo
ninjarider   +1y
I'll fab something similar to this to bolt the throttle assembly to the carb manifold.
post photo
fdugn545   +1y
That's pretty dope! I think I'm gonna have to do ford edis if I'm ever gonna want to get this thing done. Other than that one other issue I came across is I bridged the sh*t out of my cpu socket for my ecu so I had to spend like 3 hours unsoldering it and ruined the socket in the mean time... So I gotta buy more stuff again.

Anyone have any tips for mounting a trigger wheel to the crank pulley and also mounting the crank sensor to the block? Just lookin for pointers.

Thanks again
ninjarider   +1y
I think the guys who have done the KIA FE3 swap have to drill a hole in the bellhousing of the tranny to install a crank sensor. I imagine you could do the same thing.