Page 7 of 9
Ford Trucks \  Ford A4LD Automatic Transmission Rebuild Project

Ford A4LD Automatic Transmission Rebuild Project

Ford Trucks Make Specific
views 21320
replies 48
following 3

baha   +1y
I can't take credit for this idea, I made this tool after seeing examples other people have made. I used this to install the servos, it worked really well.

It compresses the servo cover so you can install the snap ring.
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
Next it was time to start rebuilding the assemblies, because of the heat markings I decided to use the donor clutch assemblies and rebuild them. I used the extra ring gear and a couple of sockets to compress the springs.
post photo
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
more photos
post photo
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
Forgot to include this step, this just needs to be done before you reinstall the main assembly. Install the low reverse band. The low reverse servo will help hold it in place but there are groves for it to fit around the two case vents. I'll get a better shot of this later.
post photo
baha   +1y
Once you get the retaining clip, spring retainer and springs out of the assembly, the next thing you need to do is remove the piston. The manual will say to insert the center support hub and using air pressure, pressurize this port. If you were like me, you already removed the seals from the center support. No need to worry, transmissions operate on hydraulic pressure so all you need to do is trace the port. You can also use this port on the main assembly. It comes out pretty easy. I used 20-30psi.
post photo
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
more photos
post photo
post photo
post photo
baha   +1y
more photos
post photo
post photo
jaredmxg   +1y
wow nice work on this. Thanks for taking the time do to the full step by step. Hopefully I never have to rebuild this particular transmission but if I do this will help out greatly. Does it stated in the manual to use vasoline, or was that just a tip from someone who builds them?
baha   +1y
Glad to help, yeah I was surprised when I first saw it. One of the manuals I have says to use petroleum jelly and the other specifically mentioned Vaseline.

Are the Kroger brand products just as good as the popular brand? I'll find out soon! (I'm using Kroger brand petroleum jelly).

I'm not sure if you've rebuilt other automatic transmissions but as best as I can tell they are all very similar except the newer ones have more solenoids but I'm still learning.
baha   +1y
The general recommendation I've read is to soak the clutch plates for a minimum of 15 min before installation. I soak all rubber seals in transmission fluid for 5-15 min as well. A shallow pan works well, I just used a trash bag to line the transmission pan to act as my soak tray. I also liked using the bag so I could keep it closed to keep out dust.

Starting with the piston, I replaced the seals. It looks like double lipped seals may have been more commonly used in rebuilds, the first piston assembly used single lip seals while every other piston used double lip seals. I just replaced what was used previously.
post photo
post photo
post photo
Post was last edited on Jan 18, 2016 10:01. This post has been edited 2 times.