Page 1 of 5
Street Source Suggestions \  Street Source Old and New

Street Source Old and New

Street Source Suggestions Street Source
views 1800
replies 44
following 25

SSM-BobHase   +1y
Here is something that I need to get off my chest for a few years now you guys have been saying the old Street Source SUCKS it needs to be more friendly and up to date. To be honest people you were not supporting the old site either. Lets try something here don't bash and don't hate we are doing the best we can. I think when someone makes a blanket statement to Kris that the site sucks and you don't have any suggestions. It makes me think why are we going threw all of this just to be bashed. As most of you know I love this scene and I have always been one to help anyone in it with phone calls in the middle of the night to helping start clubs to giving suggestion for those that do events. I'm asking for your help to make this work and not hate on what is trying to be done. Some are saying info has been lost I think that you don't understand there is 14 years of info and it either did not transfer and we have to figure out how to retrieve it this will take time. So bare with us and be helpful.
SSM-BobHase   +1y
I either pissed everyone off or I made since LOL
guiltybydesign   +1y
yea just saying it sucks doesn't help. I still think the chat style layout is everyones hangup. Id like it better if it was formatted like the top 50 topics page where you just had subjects listed, then you could see the convo by clicking on them. Im also finding that it looks like posts from 2 different subjects run together because theres not anything distinguishing one from another. Mabey alternate background colors? or seregate every convo from another?
SSM-BobHase   +1y
Thanks for the input Our main objective was not to piss people off the old site all that was holding it together was band aids and spit. everyone wanted a app with the old system it was not possible. the coding was just out dated.
leydbck   +1y
I don't think it was the old site was 100% at fault for keeping people off. It was the way it was ran. There only seemed to be 2 mods for the entire site, assholes and spammers far exceeded the staff. Most if not all updates to anything was done through Facebook, it seemed like the people who ran it were not even supporting it. Things seemed to get worse after one mod left. If a suggestion was made it took weeks before anything was done about it. As for the new site, Yes a lot was done to revamp Streetsource. However the way the old site "Appeared" was fine, people liked it other than a few strange features. Like the pic posting and lack of a working search. As for the new site, The way it is now is good. Other than a few bugs and some missing features it is a lot better now than how it was when you rolled it out. This is my opinion only, others may share it but I cannot speak for them.
SSM-BobHase   +1y
Honestly for the past few years there seemed to be no interest in the site at all by anyone that could fix or make things work not many of you know this but a few years ago Kris and I had decided to part ways. For me I wanted to change the world but because I'm not a programer there was not much I could do. So about a year ago Kris and I talked about Street Source and where it is going. I was going to pull the plug do to all involved was not interested in putting time into fixing things. Most that know me personally know how much I care about SSM but I felt we had not moved it forward so it could be a success like it was in the old days. Street Source in the early 2000s was the best automotive site on the planet. I felt with my limited experience of knowing the ins and outs of the creative I was doomed. I talked to Kris about my thoughts which was 180 degrees away from what Kris had in mind. But I'm not a programer I'm just a guy that knows what I like and think what Street Source should be. My Idea was to create different on line sites that cater to those specific groups Like Mini Truck News and Sport Truck News and so on. But after talking to Kris that would take tons of money which I don't have. So in talking to Kris I told him you created Street Source and I just wanted to let you know I'm pulling the plug. I told Kris I was sorry but I just can't keep going like this. Kris said don't do that how about we get back together and build a new site that has the modern feathers So we can Move into the new era and get Street Source back. So I will have to admit that I had not been on Street Source like I was and I know things were not getting fixed but the reason was we were moving on to create something new and better. I'm like most of you I'm a old dog that don't like change. But I do try and give constructive criticism to make things better not create negative. Plus we all have to remember Street Source is not the only main line site anymore. By there is no one out there that has the information for you the enthusiast like Street Source does..
SSM-Webmaster   +1y
thanks chan.. You are correct on ALL accounts.. And we are here to fix the issues. This site is yours more than it is ours .. We fully realize that moderating the site will be very important as well as proving that we care and are on top of things here..

That's one big reason for the new site.. Yea the old one worked for the most part but maintanance was just utterly painfull. It was a mixture of over 10 years of various technologies that were duct taped and zip tied together. Since the site needs a really good mobile app (not just a mobile version of the site), it just didn't make any sense to try to get it to work with the old site. A re-code was necessary using modern tools.. more than a facelift.. with that said, it is all new "virgin" code. I literally did not use a single line of code from the old site. So there are quite a few bugs and we are working hard to fix them and we really appreciate the communities help in getting the issues fixed. This site is and should be driven by the members. I appreciate everyones help!
NtotheIZZATEDOG   +1y
Kris, you have done and are doing a tremendous job. Please keep it up and don't let negativity discourage you. Humans are weird...many times we are quick to bitch and slow to compliment. I'm impressed with your patience and willingness to listen and serve members requests even when some do not even acknowledge your pain-staking efforts thus far. Thank you and keep up the awesome work!
SSM-Webmaster   +1y
thanks nathan! very much.. sometimes the negativity can be very discouraging.. but comments like your mean the world to me.. thanks man
SSM-BobHase   +1y
Kris how about a group hug now I have a tear coming on LOL