threads
Page 3 of 3
Body work and Paint \  Smoothing engine?

Smoothing engine?

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 1859
replies 26
following 18

8tninedime   +1y
very impressive work on that motor
tuckinlugs06   +1y
what kind of paint do you use for motors
onebadkota   +1y
Edited: 11/30/2010 1:54:45 PM by KandyDakota

Well I just started smoothing out a 350 that im gonna drop in the mazda......Its def. gonna take some time...lol....But i actually am enjoying it

Oh and Robbie....That is what I am going for....sheesh that is nice
relaxedmitch   +1y
I don't know what kind of clear you are using but i've done and had tons of smoothed motors over the year and they all have been cleared and buffed and I never had one turn yellow. I do it much the same way that Robbie does his engines, we use roll locks, die grinders, numerous different small heads, and we have a little pneumatic belt sander that also works well. We then prime, block the areas we can, use a soft block or a taco block on the others, final prime, hand sand, paint, clear, buff and i've never had any issues, goodluck with your engine.
gimp5561   +1y
powder coat never turns and helps hide any missed stuff
mafiacustomz   +1y
thats what i was told by a professional painter after 3-5 years the clear will yellow i use the super wet look Hardener for Enamel engine paint
Inked84   +1y
if your really goin to drive it, like a daily driver, after 3-5 years of expansion and contraction the paint is most likely goin to start cracking and flaking. but if its a show truck and wont see that much heat then some sanding and a few quarts of polyester primer will help you get the smoothness your looking for, the poly can be sprayed right over the bare metal and the very high build up and easy sanding will help to reduce the time it takes to get the really smooth finish your looking for.