threads
Page 1 of 3
Body work and Paint \  Smoothing engine?

Smoothing engine?

Body work and Paint Q & A
views 1843
replies 26
following 18

blazn   +1y
I am wanting to smooth and paint my block and other engine components. What is the best way to smooth a block?

thanks
gimp5561   +1y
lot of sanding with a scotch pad on a air sander
Uncle Fester   +1y
And high build promer, a few 30 packs and tons of wet sanding. Looks awesome when done though.
blazn   +1y
Well I am out of cash for my build so I thought I could work on that!

Fester what are 30 packs?
Jance Customs   +1y
If you're wanting to get the small tight details, I'll sell you a ziplock bag full of dremel sanding bands for $20 shipped.

Sorry for the big pics!

Before

After

Before

After

I used other tools as well, but I used the sanding bands for the all the detail work. It just takes a lot of time...
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
Uncle Fester   +1y
--------------------------------------------

blazn said:

Well I am out of cash for my build so I thought I could work on that!

Fester what are 30 packs?

Sorry Brad Wayne got it right, going to take loads of patience and beer. Looks like Jance been there. From there its etching primer, high build, wet sanding then paint. Not a easy process but looks hella nice when done.

Good luck.
blazn   +1y
Well I guess I need to go buy a dremel!!! Luckily, I dont drink so that should save me some extra $$$
stlowburban   +1y
Just a thought but would a flapdisk on a grinder help to do alot of the heavy work and save time if you were easy with it?
Uncle Fester   +1y

STLowburban said:

Just a thought but would a flapdisk on a grinder help to do alot of the heavy work and save time if you were easy with it?

Maybe on big open areas but most engines are hard to reach places making a 4 1/2" hard to reach. Maybe a Roloc would help for some but I think Jance has the best bet. Its not easy I just painted mine without sanding and it looks good for general purposes. Takes hard core to make it smooth. Good luck.