General Discussion \  Bikes

Bikes

General Discussion
views 6017
replies 40
following 16

getsum   +1y
Time for custom paint and stickers!
Mines been down a few times at the track, I've gotten pretty good at fixing it....
It's got an extended tail section and swingarm, cut fairings, lowered, geared, bigger injectors, headwork, degreed cams, modded clutch, power commander, I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.
Got a buddy that knows how to get big power outta them 9's, so holla if u decide to up the ante....
someotherguy   +1y
I gotta keep posting Harleys to compete with you sport bike lovers.

This is my first Harley, '82 FLH, picked it up in '93 IIRC. Was pretty much stock when I got it but I pulled all the unnecessary crap off: fake dual exhaust (has a crossover that the kicker would hit), huge "buddy" seat, bags and bag guards, turn signals front/rear, windshield, luggage rack, mud flaps, all that "live to ride" shit, leather tassles on the levers, blah blah blah.

Over the years, ended up with true duals and fishtail pipes, changed Keihin carb to S&S E, solid polished aluminum wheels, shaved turn signal mounts from rear fender, shaved front fender rivets, reshaped fender tips to take old style trim, thin ribbed battery cover instead of the louvered crap, and a bunch of other stuff I've probably forgotten.

In this pic it already had the new seat and most of the crap removed, I'd owned it for maybe a week at this point:

After a crash that screwed up my knee and ankle pretty bad and dented the tank, I rocked it in flat black for a few years then had my buddy do the paint. Jet black with scallops in House of Kolors Kandy Violet over their BC-2 silver base. I wish I had pics of it in the sunlight because it really freakin' popped, but here are two that I snapped quick:

Probably the bike I kept the longest, and put the most money into (so far.) Busted a tank mount and it started leaking down on top of the engine, couldn't fix the tank without destroying the paint, so I slapped a new set in flat black on and sold it to a guy in Indiana I think, it's been forever. Gave him the old tanks in case he wanted to try fixing.

I rode that freakin' bike EVERYWHERE, including a '95 trip to Sturgis from Houston. Just me and my bud Kevin, he had a '72 FLH. Pair of raggedy Shovelheads taking a 1400+ mile one-way route, no real problems, and a lot of fun. Saw a lot of guys trailering their bikes on the way and could only think what they were missing out on. The trip is the best part, Sturgis is just a carnival in between the trip up and the trip back.

BTW guys that trailer all the way in I can at least give SOME respect to, they're not trying to hide anything. The true posers are the pack of guys we saw get their bikes off the trailer in Cheyenne Wyoming and "ride" in the last few hundred miles while their ol' ladies drove the motorhome w/trailer in. In contrast, we rode the whole way, whenever we got tired we'd pull off the road and sleep in the grass under a tree, and slept in a tent on some guy's farm once we got there. Can't beat it.

If y'all cant tell by now, I love Shovelheads, and each one has progressively less and less extra junk on it.

Richard
getsum   +1y
I like bikes in general. I just happen to like drag racing them, hence my choice when buying. Got nothing against Harleys, but I so wish some of their owners would face reality once in a while....
I bet that Sturgis trip was awesome....
jcampbell1180   +1y

Bro...that's my Father-In-Law.

someotherguy   +1y
Tell him to grow a pair and iron-butt it the whole way next time! Call him a wee little girl while you're at it, for good measure. Then say it's because a guy on the internet called him a puss.

It's roughly the same distance from SoCal that we had to cover from Houston...

Hell dude even my MOM did Los Angeles to Sturgis...on a SPORTSTER! You know that had to suck. And now that I think back on it, while her bike was in paint jail, she borrowed a friend's rigid with ape hangers on a springer...to ride to Lake Tahoe! If you met my mom you wouldn't think she's hardcore, but she is!

EDIT - WTF? Campy?? How did my reply to you show up ahead of your post?!

Richard
jcampbell1180   +1y

What the...I dunno...that's odd.
someotherguy   +1y

OK so this time I got video! Quick run inside the shop:

After that I took it outside, took it easy for a couple passes, then cranked it up and flew around the block a few times, got it up to 3rd, didn't hit the open road because no plates, no insurance, cops around here suck too. Pulled damn strong, running great. I still need to build the carb and do a few more adjustments but it's real, real close to ready.

Richard
melvin67   +1y
My 77 xs650 bobber, kick only . Old fmx setup and huckin some jump all casual on my 4 fitty last year. Love bikes, and born to ride!
thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo
someotherguy   +1y
Nice!!! Crazy sumbitch!! Don't you know you're supposed to keep both tires on the ground?

Richard
lockone   +1y
Here are some old bikes of ours that have been sold since the spring or wrecked.

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo

thread post photo