Page 35 of 37
Build-Ups \  OEM Terror...Our '09 SEMA project

OEM Terror...Our '09 SEMA project

Build-Ups General Discussions
views 27527
replies 367
following 131

ChadCrissDesign   +1y
what I mean is, they dont have rockers at all, if you body them arnt they layn almost door like the new chevy trucks?
DANNY27   +1y
Yes. Almost. But this one isn't boddied. It technically now is almost rockered.
Pacificustoms   +1y
All of the SUV's from the factory have some sort of plastic trim or running board. There's a half dozen variations I've seen. They do lay running board or the trim piece as those are flush with the frame. I guess you can say it now lays rocker, although some people would probably call that cheating. I prefer the bodies to have some sort of finishing panel under the doors, without it, they look un-finished to me.
nyccustomizer   +1y
Truck looks RIDICULOUS!!! Truly a work of art.

I was wondering how all the covers that you made were fabricated. There are so many complex and compound bends. Were they stamped? Hand formed? Were the rockers stamped in one piece or were they made in multiple pieces then welded together. I was looking at the die that you showed and couldnt really understand what part of it was used to make the rockers.

Thanks for sharing with us and I can't wait to see it at SEMA.

Dean
JboyDrags   +1y
yall r doin some sicc ass work. keep up the good job
Pacificustoms   +1y
--------------------------------------------

nyccustomizer said:

Truck looks RIDICULOUS!!! Truly a work of art.

I was wondering how all the covers that you made were fabricated. There are so many complex and compound bends. Were they stamped? Hand formed? Were the rockers stamped in one piece or were they made in multiple pieces then welded together. I was looking at the die that you showed and couldnt really understand what part of it was used to make the rockers.

Thanks for sharing with us and I can't wait to see it at SEMA.

Dean

Many of the parts on here took almost all of the machinery that we have here. The side covers and rockers were both built with our Pullmax, which is a power hammer. It stamps in whatever the die is to give the shape it needs. It's a perfect way to make multiple pieces that all need to be exactly the same. It will do the beads, the steps, the creases, curves, tipping, louvers, almost anything you can imagine to do to sheetmetal. Ultimately, to answer your question, they would be considered hand formed with pieces that were stamped in our power hammer. The rockers are multiple pieces, there's a face, a top and some connecting pieces in the back. There's also a front cap and rear cap that were completely hand formed with the body line to curve into the straight section of the rocker.

If I'm around the car at SEMA come say hi, I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have!
Pacificustoms   +1y
Here's one that was never posted. One of my favorite pieces of the artwork on the inside:

And since it is going to SEMA with Accuair!

post photo
post photo
derek03   +1y
Truely amazing build. The quality of work is incredible and inspirational. The worst part though is that it all looks so factory that the details will be overlooked by anyone without specific knowledge of the build. I know thats what you were going for though. If I could pull off anything close to what you have done I would leave it in raw metal with big arrows pointing to each part that said look what I did. :BOWDOWN:
ig109   +1y
Can't wait to see the thing painted and with those HUGE wheels back on there..

Truck is amazing.. Work is AWE inspiring..

Pacificustoms   +1y

spodey said:

Truely amazing build. The quality of work is incredible and inspirational. The worst part though is that it all looks so factory that the details will be overlooked by anyone without specific knowledge of the build. I know thats what you were going for though. If I could pull off anything close to what you have done I would leave it in raw metal with big arrows pointing to each part that said look what I did. :BOWDOWN:

You're right. It almost looked stock on the trailer going to the paint shop...

post photo