threads
Page 4 of 5
Full Size Truckin General \  Anyone have any info about this truck I NEED SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any info about this truck I NEED SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Full Size Truckin General General Discussions
views 2992
replies 46
following 37

fredstinting   +1y

Progressive DualieThis '98 Diesel Chevy Is Full of ChangesBy Bob RyderPhotography by Travis NoackThere is a saying that goes, change is good. This cliche would explain the changes behind Kerry Cunningham's '98 diesel-powered, Chevy dualie. After being featured on the pages of Truckin's June '02 issue as a colorful two-tone rocker-draggin' Crew Cab dualie with an Escalade front end, it underwent a complete identity transformation. Cunningham is a member of the prestigious club Negative Camber, where the membership fleet of road graders and draggers pride themselves on living the low life. The complete makeover took only six months to complete.

Starting with the dualie's foundation, the frame and suspension were dropped a total of 14 inches from stock-ride height. To achieve this, the front suspension received a pair of Belltech 3-inch drop spindles, and the factory lower control arms were refabricated to accept the larger 22-inch wheels and tires. Custom-bent tubing supports were also fabricated to accommodate the Firestone 26C airbags. In addition, the rear framerails were step-notched to allow for increased negative ride height and suspension travel of the rear axle housing. Tucking 22s, the Alcoa polished-aluminum wheels were wrapped by P265/35R22 Pirelli Scorpion rubber that retracts up inside the wheelwells when the Firestone 26C 'bags are deflated. Monroe shock absorbers control and dampen the suspension frequency, contributing to better ride quality.

With these mods in place, the rockers still weren't leaving an impression in the ground. So, the Sawzall was broken out to assist in a 3-1/2-inch body drop (channeled, for the old-school readers), allowing the six-wheeler to drag the rockers, bedside panels, roll pan, and front bumper.

Lifting the hood exposed the factory 6.5L turbodiesel that was yanked, then steam cleaned and coated with body-color-matching Corvette Blue Sherwin-Williams paint. A pair of electric fans kept the rotating power mass cool, while two Optima Red Top batteries allow for ample cold-cranking amps. The 4-inch Flowmaster exhaust system purges the diesel exhaust at 12-16 pounds of boost produced by the turbo. A B&M Shift Improver Kit was also installed, creating much firmer shift points. The factory computer has been reprogrammed to allow for a respectable 18.17-second, 92-mph quarter-mile pass.

The body mods were performed by Cunningham, Tyler Scott, and Travis Chauvin, and included a completely shaved and smoothed door, tailgate handles, gas door and roof seams. The previous '00-'01 Cadillac Escalade front sheetmetal was scraped, and a pair of sectioned '98 Chevrolet front fenders were teamed up with an '01 HD grille and grille shell, flanked by a pair of '01 HD headlights. An '01 HD factory hood, radiator core support, and an '01 HD front bumper finished off the leading edge. The rear tailgate was shaved and smoothed with a Sir Michaels roll pan and '92 Caddy taillights. The rear dualie fenders were extended 2 inches to accept the larger 22-inch wheel and tire combo. The previous ragtop opening was eliminated by skinning the top and installing an all-new roof skin. After everything was complete, Cunningham's six-wheeler was rolled into the paint spraybooth, where it underwent a color change. The present color is a rich Moody Blue Sherwin-Williams Corvette Metallic.

Mounted into the factory dash is an Eclipse 7000D video head unit pulsating audio tunes to three Alpine V12 amplifiers and three W6 JL Audio subwoofers mounted in a custom box behind the back bench seat. The Kicker separates and mids were grafted into all four doors. Cunningham labored and displayed his interior talents with the remaining interior factory plastic pieces of the dash, door panels, A-pillars, and moldings. He removed the pieces, sanded them smooth, and painted their exterior Moody Blue Sherman-Williams Corvette Metallic. He also installed a factory black carpet kit and vinyl headliner, then mounted a pair of racing bucket seats up front. A Colorado Customs Denver steering wheel caps the factory tilt-steering column.

A project like this always encounters a lot of help and understanding from friends and loved ones. Kerry would like to thank his mom, dad, brothers, Travis Chauvin, Kevin Holland, Marc Breaux, Clint Roger, Scooby Greedy, Frank at Rod's, Kevin at Dent Works, Da' Shop, the crew at Trapp Chevrolet, and his girlfriend Stacie. We are sure the list goes on, but editorial feature space is limited.

Supposedly, cats have nine lives. How many lives does a '98 Chevy dualie have? According to Kerry Cunningham, it's two. But could there be a third?

The rear dualie fenders had to be stretched 2 inches to provide enough clearance to tuck the 22-inch Alcoa polished aluminum wheels and P265/35R22 Pirelli Scorpion rubber.The factory '01 HD hood was highlighted with a single, broad, black stripe, bordered with a black pinstripe.A pair of '92 Cadillac taillights was grafted into the rear bed skin. All of the bedrail pockets were filled and smoothed. Polished aluminum diamond plate was installed atop the tailgate 'rail to eliminate any scratching and dings.The tubular rearend, airbag, and substructure could be mistaken for a piece of metal-sculptured art. Notice the six-pod trailer ball support capping the rearend substructure.Opening the door exposed the active interior, complete with racing bucket seats, A-pillar gauge, and dash gauge pods on top to keep an eye on the diesel's vital signs. A full array of billet treatment ` the dash panel, shift lever, turn indicator, Colorado Customs Denver steering wheel, and aluminum diamond plate airbag switch panel located on the center console. The Iron Cross rearview mirror allows Kerry to keep an eye on the following traffic.The entertainment is headed up by an Eclipse 7000D video head unit, sending the heavy audio tunes to three Alpine V12 amps and three W6 JL Audio subwoofers located in a custom sound chamber mounted behind the rear bench seat. The Kicker separates and mid-range speakers are fused into each of the four door panels.
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
post photo
crewcabondubs   +1y

what an inconspicuous(sp?) truck to run drugs in! LOLwhat an ass hat!  i havent seen that truck in a long time. 22k seems kinda high tho! no way they paid anything near that at auction.  
dbldub01   +1y

wow that's one hell of a history, that was an awesome truck I'm sure it can't be too bad.......someone that knows what they are doing needs to snag that thing up
bigbsisuzu   +1y
Edited: 8/24/2009 6:16:35 PM by bigbsisuzu

Edited: 8/24/2009 6:15:26 PM by bigbsisuzuI and some club members looked at the truck on Sunday the 23, it is beat but nothing that could not be fixed but not worth 22 gs the back door on the driver side did not open only has 3 seats the gas peddle is so far under the dash it would hurt to drive and the frame is cracked no stereo and the front shocks more than rub and the rear shocks look like they are going to break off and the four link is like one inch tube and its bagged off the bar with a goose neck hitch we offered 10 gs and they would not take i here thats what they got it for looks good from far but far from good but good luck to any one that gets it just really take a close look at every thing...
jetts   +1y
---------------------------------------------Originally posted by lowhoeThats Ducks old truck. I bought it from Duck back in 2004 I think. Then sold it to a guy in Seatlle. Bout some time in 2005 got a visit from DEpt of homeland Security. The guy I sold the truck to was running drugs across the border in the truck. SMART Guy!! Anyways everything was seized , etc, etc. Truck was till in my name when they got him. Truck disapeared for years, guess floating in Government siezure status till apparently sold at auction and ending up on this used car dealers lot.  shoot me a email if you need anything else chad@fletcherscustoms.com---------------------------------------------   truck as of this winter, always garaged... the truck was only seized 6 weeks ago, its been at Sound Werks in washington for atleast the last year.. also people were wondering since it was in your name, how did it have washington plates on it? also why didnt the take the truck back when he was "running" drugs in the truck back in 05? just curius of where some of these stories have come from
post photo
jetts   +1y
oh yea and that boat is bad as fuck! twin viper motors
jetts   +1y

post photo
post photo
jetts   +1y

post photo
jetts   +1y
pictures from last summer a few days before sittin pretti show
boilermaker   +1y

ok heres my history with the truck Back in 04 or 05 hel I can't remember I drove from Coolidge, GA to New Orleans, LA. Purchased truck from Duck at his house in Houma, and then headed back home.Way home 15 minutes from the house Semi in front of me blows tire, and recap takes out passenger rear door and rear passenger fender. Spent bout a month in my shop getting repaired and repainted. Kicked it to Slamfest and locally for a few months. Then decided it wasn't gonna work out for towing my gooseneck like originally planned. Posted on ebay, mautofied, etc for sale. Finally after a few weeks, I was contacted by Dean Doctor frOM Washington state. WE agreed on a price. Couple days later I drove the truck 4 hours to Atlanta, GA airport, picked him and two other guys up at the airport. Rode over hotel and did the paperwork. I was paid $28,000 in $100 bills. Hell I still got a pic somewhere. After that he loaded up and headed out driving back to WAshington. Said he was going to stop in Louisville, KY at a big semi show then drive home. Heard a few weeks later it was at Pickets, and he was changing the wheels and some other things. Then never seen or heard of it or DEan Doctor again. Then one day, wife calls me from the house. Get home and meet a Investigator, gun and all from DEpt of Homeland Security. He shows pics of truck and asks me why its in Washington. This is a few months after I sold, I would have to find the Bill of sale to figure out the date. Guy asked all kinds of questions of what my involoement was with DEAn, etc. Then tells me the story about him being busted taking drugs across border in truck. And at the time of bust, truck still had GA plates  (i left on) and titled in my name still. After I provided copy of bill of sale, etc. He went on his way and I never heard or seen anything else out of it again. Investigator told me everything was being seized, I just figured it was way back when this all happened. Trucks been off the map last couple of years, so I figured thats what happened.