threads
Page 3 of 4
General Discussion \  Anyone run E85 in any of there daily drivers?

Anyone run E85 in any of there daily drivers?

General Discussion
views 3233
replies 33
following 9

huskerdually   +1y

Only e-10 and e-85 have ethanol in it. If it doesn't say it has ethanol in it on the pump then legally it can't.
illegal regalã¢â€žâ¢   +1y
yea but when have ya gone to the pump and not seen a sticker saying "contains 10% ethanol"??
huskerdually   +1y
We usually have three pumps 2 without ethanol and 1 with and then the special e-85, but it gets it's very own island.
watahyahknow   +1y
maibe its possible to put an msd ignitionbox in that retart or advances the ingnitiongurve , that might help a bit

theres one thing i knoe about alcohol that is that it atracts water wish might becomeroblem if you leave a vehicle standing for a long time
huskerdually   +1y

I do see that in boats alot. They sit all winter. But in cars it's not so much of a problem.

Run a supercharger and boost the heck out of it and use that 105 octane.
you're a lucky one.. around here you can't find a 100% gasoline pump, it's all blended.

I'm not sure if ethanol attracts water like methanol does. It's common for people to think ethanol/methanol are the same but they are quite different.

Methanol is abrasive and needs a good fuel system as it will break down rubber and leaves a chalky residue if the system isn't cleaned out regularly(like after every raceday for racers). Also gotta keep the container sealed to help reduce the moisture it attracts.
huskerdually   +1y
It attracts water. It is very similar to methanol. It is very corrosive. It will eat through old rubber lines. All the new fuel lines they have been making for several years now is resistant to it.
got this off an e85 site, they actually claim you can run e85 without doing any mods at all

"The Myth about Ethanol Corrosion.

Ethanol itself is not corrosive. The use of ethanol will not rust out or corrode your fuel lines or gas tank. This disinformation comes from folks who do not want to see this technology succeed. However, there is some basis in fact for the rumors. Alcohol (ethanol) tends to attract moisture. If your auto is consistently in use, this is no problem. However, if the car is stored for any length of time (months), water may accumulate in the tank and this could cause rust in an older vehicle. Newer cars have already been designed to run 10% ethanol so this will not be a problem. If you intend to store your car for any length of time, it is recommended to run the ethanol out of your car and fill it with gasoline.

Other Myth busters

Ethanol-blended gasoline powers cars and trucks hundreds of thousands of miles across the United States each and every year. In fact, it has powered vehicles through more than 2 trillion miles in the past 25 years. It is proven to decrease air pollution, enhance engine performance and boost local, regional and national economies. Every major automaker approves and warrantees its use. Even so, there's a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding out there. The truth is ethanol is economical, efficient and earth-friendly, and it's good for all of us.

Myth: Ethanol makes your engine run hotter.
Fact: There's a reason many high-powered racing engines run on pure alcohol. It combusts at a lower temperature, keeping the engine cooler. Ethanol, a form of alcohol, in your fuel does the same for your engine.

Myth: Ethanol is bad for fuel injectors.
Fact: Olefins in gasoline cause deposits that can foul injectors. By comparison, ethanol burns 100 percent and leaves no residue, so it cannot contribute to the formation of deposits. Fact is, ethanol actually keeps fuel injectors cleaner and improves performance. What's more, ethanol does not increase corrosion, and it will not harm seals or valves.

Myth: Ethanol plugs fuel lines.
Fact: Ethanol actually keeps your fuel system cleaner than regular unleaded gasoline. In dirty fuel systems, ethanol loosens contaminants and residues and they can get caught in your fuel filter. In older cars, especially those manufactured before 1975, replacing the filter will solve the problem. And if you continue to use ethanol-blended gasoline, your filter will remain cleaner for improved engine performance.

Myth: Ethanol isn't safe for older vehicles.
Fact: Many older cars were designed to run on leaded gasoline, with the lead providing necessary octane for performance. However, even dramatic changes in gasoline formulation over the past few years have not affected older engine performance. Ethanol, a natural, renewable additive, raises octane levels by three points and works well in older engines.
Myth: Ethanol harms small engines, like those on lawn mowers, snowmobiles, personal watercraft and recreational vehicles.
Fact: Small engine manufacturers have made certain that their engines perform with gasoline that contains oxygenates such as ethanol. Fact is, ethanol-blended fuel can be used safely in anything that runs on unleaded gasoline.

Myth: Ethanol actually increases air pollution.
Fact: There can be no increase in emission from ethanol-blended fuels; it's the law. In fact, ethanol reduces carbon monoxide emissions by as much as 25 percent and displaces components of gasoline that produce toxic emissions that cause cancer and other diseases.
Myth: Ethanol contributes to global warming.
Fact: The energy balance for ethanol is positive, 1.35 to 1, so the greenhouse gas benefits of ethanol are also positive. Fact is, using ethanol produces 32 percent fewer emissions of greenhouse gases than gasoline for the same distance traveled.

Myth: It takes more energy to produce ethanol than it contributes.
Fact: Fact is, corn plants efficiently collect and store energy, so for every 100 BTUs of energy used to produce ethanol, 135 BTUs of ethanol are produced. In addition, ethanol facilities are extremely energy efficient.

Myth: Ethanol production wastes corn that could be used for food.
Fact: In 2001, U.S. farmers produced 9.5 billion bushels of corn and only 600 million bushels are currently used in ethanol production. Fact is, there's no shortage of corn, and the ethanol market could expand significantly without negatively impacting its availability. Besides, ethanol production uses field corn, most of which is fed to livestock, not humans. Only the starch portion of the corn kernel is used to produce ethanol. The vitamins, minerals, proteins and fiber are converted to other products such as sweeteners, corn oil and high-value livestock feed, which helps livestock producers add to the overall food supply. "
huskerdually   +1y
I've seen that before. My theory is there a 3 sides to every story his/hers and the truth.

I can tell you the reason alot of you groceries are going up is because of ethanol. It has made corn worth $4 a bushel. Now it costs more to feed the cattle, chickens and other animals. I can look in every direction out my building right now and see a corn field and the livestock producers around here are looking for other ways to feed their animals.

It takes a ton of water to make ethanol. My uncle was maintenance at an ethanol plant. There are 3 of them within 10 miles of me right now. So what is the trade off.

I hope ethanol works, it could really help with prices if they get an infastructer to get it throughout the US. And if the auto makers actually make vehicles to run on it and not just tolerate it.
jcampbell1180   +1y
Yay for Ethanol!