Air Ride Suspensions \  HOW TO: Traditional Body Drop

HOW TO: Traditional Body Drop

Air Ride Suspensions Q & A
views 17443
replies 71
following 44

5592kchevy   +1y
Originally posted by sadisticiron

its ok to mess wih the mounts cuz during to build and fab stages if you dont like certain body gaps you can compensate by moving the mounts fractions in either direction

Yep my cab is moved back an inch and it really closes the gap between the bed and cab. When a truck gets dropped this low that gap tends to look even bigger. I think it looks better

post photo
riddincaddy01   +1y
im in the middle of channeling my truck, and i dont know if i should cut my floor out and let my exhaust come through or slice the top of the exhaust so it doesn't come through, also how close can the exhaust get to the floor? thanks
turboh22aakkord   +1y
ok, sorry to jump into this post, but i have a quick question. When you do a body drop (traditional) to make the bed match up with cab do you just drop the bed mounts? This has always confused. And also, i got a little confused by some of the info on here (all the channeling talk) but when you do a traditional drop you dont need to touch the cab mounts at all right?
TwistedMinis   +1y
You don't touch the cab mounts on a traditional, that is correct.

For the bed, you cut a little out of the center on the inside. In this picture you can see the cut line.You just cut out however much you bodydropped the cab, or more if you want to raise the bed floor. And its always a good idea to drop the bed an extra 1/8" to 1/4" so you can shim it to line it up with the cab.

I didn't cover this part because my bed doesn't have that inner structure, so it had to be framed. Which is another way you can do it.Essentially just build a frame where you want the bed floor, then attach the bed to that.
post photo
post photo
post photo
turboh22aakkord   +1y
Good stuff... thanks Seth
BAGGEDTACO45   +1y
hey i have one question why did u leave out the cuting of the frame horns
LndRanger86   +1y
ARE THERE ANY TIPS OR POINTERS ON A X-CAB HARDBODY? I WANT TO DO MINE TO THE ROCKER AND CUT THE PINCH. I'M NOT DEFINATE, ON THE STEERING, AND I WANT TO KEEP MY FACTORY HEAT AND AIR.ANYTHING TO KNOW?
McClarys   +1y
Originally posted by LndRanger86

ARE THERE ANY TIPS OR POINTERS ON A X-CAB HARDBODY? I WANT TO DO MINE TO THE ROCKER AND CUT THE PINCH. I'M NOT DEFINATE, ON THE STEERING, AND I WANT TO KEEP MY FACTORY HEAT AND AIR.ANYTHING TO KNOW?

not really... dont cut the pinch.. just hammer them up .... z the frame horns, and you can keep your air and heat easy...2.75 " drop is all you need to lay rockers....your stock steering will work fine... but a good tilt steering from a pathfinder or similar is great to have....
TwistedMinis   +1y
^ Thats the guy to tell you about a Nissan bodydrop.
Swirv   +1y
all the pics of the channel body drop i couldnt view! there all x'd out! is there any chance i could get those sent to my email! i am gonna be body dropping a truck this summer and wanna see this channel process i read about!? thank you