following 16

ShavedClean96Accord   +1y
Edited: 5/10/2006 9:47:48 PM by ShavedClean96Accord

Originally posted by BumpinYota

Edited: 5/10/2006 9:33:33 PM by BumpinYota

Originally posted by ShavedClean96Accord

Originally posted by framedragger

Originally posted by rickster6924

U can't turn down the watts by turning down the gain it don't work like that ur gain control is not a volume control!!! It adjust the amount of frequencies u send to the speakers no matter how low or how high u turn it u get same amount of watts and it is better to over power ur subs a little then is to under power them alot. O and u can fuck up ur subs by under powering them

ur completely wrong, but im not gunna explain why. its not worth it.

ill say this though...a CROSSOVER blocks and passes frequencies from and to the speakers. your gain CONTROLS YOUR WATTAGE NOT YOUR VOLUME

The gain DOES NOT CONTROL WATTAGE, OR VOLUME.

Your gain is to be set to the output of your RCA level on your headunit. IE: Eclipse CD7000 = 5v output = setting your gain at 5v.

I don't understand how anyone could not understand that... Please, research audio a little prior to your install.

I am a MECP certified installer, with 5 years of experience, and I can't tell you how many people DO NOT NEED TO BE AROUND vehicle audio set-ups. Research is the key.

pssst...you can reduce the amps output by turning down the gain however. So in that way a gain CAN control an amps power. That is the ONLY point that I and Grant are trying to make here.

Go check out the link and play around with the animations if you believe otherwise.

I can also go grab an arc flatline, wire it up to a 120v wall jack, and watch it hop until the voicecoil cannot take any more, but that doesn't mean it should be done.

A good stereo is built around knowledge and key use of install features. I invest more in the enclosure and sound deadening that equipment, and have done so with great success.

With any major currect draws being added to your vehicle, look into upgrading your alternator, and possibly adding another battery.

In my mustang, I have 175 amps of current draw at maximum, and I have a stinger SP1000 under the hood, an Ohio Generator (220amps at 2750rpms), and another SP1000 strapped in the back. All of this, to run my 6 channel amplifier, and my air suspension.

I also have 4 layers of stinger roadkill pro.

Life is great, but good audio is better... :)
BumpinYota   +1y
Edited: 5/10/2006 9:51:08 PM by BumpinYota

Edited: 5/10/2006 9:48:29 PM by BumpinYota

If you look at his very first post, he said that one can not reduce an amp's output by turning down the gain. This is not the case, one can do so.

Why would you do it? So that one amp doesnt overpower another amp. IE - matching up amplifier levels in a multi amp system. Otherwise just turn the volume down on the damn deck. The only other time to turn down the gain would be for the idiot customer that can't keep the volume below maximum...

You arent the only one who knows his way around an install bay either... ;)
I guess I'm just too used to my use of 6 channels, with bandpass crossovers on mids and highs... haha.

Running active, powerful frontstages releaves a lot of the stress of overpowering low end drivers.
EscaChevy1026   +1y
i had quantum b4 my truck got stolen had a 2000 watt amp it was str8 i liked it... it never got hot and never shut off... it made my fosgate power hx2 15s pound there asses off

Edited: 5/10/2006 9:51:08 PM by BumpinYota

Edited: 5/10/2006 9:48:29 PM by BumpinYota

If you look at his very first post, he said that one can not reduce an amp's output by turning down the gain. This is not the case, one can do so.

Why would you do it? So that one amp doesnt overpower another amp. IE - matching up amplifier levels in a multi amp system. Otherwise just turn the volume down on the damn deck. The only other time to turn down the gain would be for the idiot customer that can't keep the volume below maximum...

You arent the only one who knows his way around an install bay either...

Years ago, crossfire recommended that they're BMF1000D's be HOT GLUED into an acceptable position upon installation... To keep such customers from returning a D-class that dropped below 11v with the gain wide open...
BumpinYota   +1y
Edited: 5/10/2006 10:06:23 PM by BumpinYota

Edited: 5/10/2006 10:04:50 PM by BumpinYota

Here's why I have what I have in that truck:

1. Street C (my class) is not allowed to have more than 1 extra battery. (1 svr 75 up front and 1 in back with 6 runs of 1/0 between)2. No dB Drag classes are limited on power only # of conductors. (7200 watts rms at present with only 4 conductors, 8 are allowed in C :D )3. Engine is OFF during compeition. (I have a 200 amp HO-alt btw, but even it falls horribly short when I do wind up the volume...anyone know how to shoehorn a second alt into a '90 toyota engine bay and keep the power steering and AC? lol)

But you are preaching to the chior. ;)

ps - edit button is our friend! hehe
Edited: 5/10/2006 10:10:29 PM by ShavedClean96Accord

I am iasca guy myself. I care not for power. I would take a good, clean A class before a 3000wrms@12.5v beast.

I will be competeing next year.

1994 Mustang.HU - Pioneer P9 comboFrontstage - Seas Lotus ref mids/ Seas lotus ref tweetersWoofers - (2) Arc 8d4'sAmp - ARC Foose Designs 6 channel

Independent bandpass crossovers on mid-drivers and tweeters.

I'm not an SPL guy, as you can see.

COMPLETE thread hijack...

Yes, Quantum makes an awesome product for the money. I know several local guys doing well in street beat classes with quantum material.
BumpinYota   +1y
Edited: 5/10/2006 10:12:19 PM by BumpinYota

hehe well power is a good thing for headroom, but I know you you mean. Every play around with Zapco? I had 4 of their c2k-9.0's for a while. SQ with serious balls! hehe I do miss those amps.

hehe well power is a good thing for headroom, but I know you you mean. Every play around with Zapco? I had 4 of their c2k-9.0's for a while. SQ and serious balls in terms of power! I do miss those amps.

Robert zeff (creator of ARC) WAS the brains behind Zapco. I like the new 6 channel DC reference (650.6) that you can tune with your laptop plug in, and use balanced imputs on.

Nice equipment, but nowhere near a brax/helix or genesis. BUT, most people can't touch a $3700.00 100wrmsx2 @ 4ohm amplifier.

granth   +1y
IMO the brax/helix equipment cant be touched, period.

but you have said the same things we have over and over. me and yota have had many talks about many things and I have learned a shit load of things from him, this being said, we both know the topic at hand (sub topic of the thread anyways). I hate misinformation. If I don't know something for sure I go and run to him, and he busts out formulas and crazy talk and I have to tell him to speak in lamen terms for me lol!