Page 1 of 1
Audio/Video \  How to hook up (4) 6.5's to a 4 channel amp

How to hook up (4) 6.5's to a 4 channel amp

Audio/Video Q & A
views 5014
replies 6
following 5

drupru22   +1y
Ok so I have (4) Polk Audio Dxi 6500's going in my truck. The issue I'm having is I don't have a ton of cash for an amp. I've been looking at the RE Audio DTS-500.4 and the RE Audio XT-800.4V3 amps. Either one will suit me since the price is right on both. The question I have is I'm looking to get more then 60 watts per speaker. I'd like to bridge the (4) 6.5's together on one of these amps if possible. Each speaker is a SVC 4 ohm and each of the subs are stable to 2 ohms.

Now the real question that I can not get an answer from anyone is:

If I bridge the 2 left side 6.5's to one channel and the 2 right side 6.5's to the other channel will I still get a 4 ohm load? If yes what way do I need to wire them? The 500.4 shows 160 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms and the 800.4V3 shows 340 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms. I'm really looking to push each speaker around 100 watts if possible.

Any help with this would really be appreciated. And yes I have looked on many other sites for the answer to my problem but I seem I'm not finding what I'm searching for.
groundscr8pr   +1y
i would recommend you get a big 2ch amp if this is the way you want to wire it.. if you parallel the speaker wires (positives and negatives tied together) and bridge the 4ch amp it will be running at 1ohm . any time an amp is bridged it will see half of the load presented ..(4ohm speaker =2ohm @the amp when bridged)
drupru22   +1y
These are the specs for the 800.4V3
RMS Power Rating:
4 ohms: 60 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 90 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 340 watts x 2 chan.

These are the specs for the 500.4
RMS Power Rating (14.4V)):
4 ohms: 50 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 80 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 160 watts x 2 chan.

So if I just run each speaker to its own channel will I get the 4 ohm rating on 4 channels? What if I got the 500.4 and just ran the front speakers off it it bridged and then ran the rear speakers off the headunit? Will this work and will it sound ok? I just want them to sound good. I never had door speakers and now that I have them I just want to power them correctly.

drupru22   +1y
Ok I understand bridging the 4 speakers together is not the answer. I guess what I'm really looking for is a nice amp that's going to push these little door speakers a little. Still looking for a 4 channel around $140 or less. Came across this Hifonics ZRX1000.4, I've heard of Hifonics but I'm not really sure if its a good small speaker amp or not.

Any help finding a nice little cheap amp now would be really appreciated.

Just so you know I also have a pair of 8" Kickers under my back seat running off a US Amps 2000X so I want something to compliment that when playing louder.
groundscr8pr   +1y
the re audio is prob a better amp than the hifonics.. i would just get the biggest 4ch you can afford and run the speakers to each individual channel.
Rob Clayhill   +1y
caraudioclassifieds.org

You will find any and all car audio answers on that site, and good deals on used equipment.

Look into a rockford T600.4 on ebay as well. These amps are no joke and are priced good.
neil12011   +1y
Or, just get a decent 2 channel for the fronts and run the rears off the head unit. Most of the sound should come from the front speakers anyway. This is my setup and it works great, I run component speakers though. The rear speakers are just for "fill".
Page 1 of 1