Audio/Video \  Quantum Audio

Quantum Audio

Audio/Video Q & A
views 7129
replies 52
following 16

shvd64cdy   +1y
Originally posted by framedragger

personally why are spending more cash on audio when you have a setup already? why not just turn down your gains and cut off your bass boost (which it should be already). If you think you can blow a sub by underpowering it, thats completely wrong. When you turn down the volume, you cut down on your wattage and current pull, therefore underpowering your sub. The only way to blow a sub is overpowering them and clipping the hell out of them. I personally would just tweak what you have to fit your taste.

WOW! WAY TO POST TOTALLY INACCURATE INFO. 1ST OFF, DISTORTION IS GENERALLY WHAT BLOWS SPEAKERS OR SUBS POWER ALMOST NEVER HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. YOU CAN TAKE A 1,200 WAT SUB, PUT A SHITTY, DISTORTED SIGNAL TO IT WITH 10 WATTS AND IT'LL BLOW. YOU CAN TAKE A 25 WATT SPEAKER, PUT 100 WATTS OF CLEAN SIGNAL, AND IT WON'T BLOW.

YOUR THEORY IS COMPLETELY WRONG, LOOK INTO IT.
OGDOUGHBOY   +1y
i am a whole sale distributor for quantum audio and db drive which is who makes quantum and they make some bad ass shit for the money , let me know what you plan on getting and ill get you a price. the quantum is awsome for daily driving or street beat and the db is awsome for competition either spl or sound quality
granth   +1y
Originally posted by rickster6924

U can't turn down the watts by turning down the gain it don't work like that ur gain control is not a volume control!!! It adjust the amount of frequencies u send to the speakers no matter how low or how high u turn it u get same amount of watts and it is better to over power ur subs a little then is to under power them alot. O and u can fuck up ur subs by under powering them

ur completely wrong, but im not gunna explain why. its not worth it.

ill say this though...a CROSSOVER blocks and passes frequencies from and to the speakers. your gain CONTROLS YOUR WATTAGE NOT YOUR VOLUME
granth   +1y
Originally posted by shvd64cdy

personally why are spending more cash on audio when you have a setup already? why not just turn down your gains and cut off your bass boost (which it should be already). If you think you can blow a sub by underpowering it, thats completely wrong. When you turn down the volume, you cut down on your wattage and current pull, therefore underpowering your sub. The only way to blow a sub is overpowering them and clipping the hell out of them. I personally would just tweak what you have to fit your taste.

WOW! WAY TO POST TOTALLY INACCURATE INFO. 1ST OFF, DISTORTION IS GENERALLY WHAT BLOWS SPEAKERS OR SUBS POWER ALMOST NEVER HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. YOU CAN TAKE A 1,200 WAT SUB, PUT A SHITTY, DISTORTED SIGNAL TO IT WITH 10 WATTS AND IT'LL BLOW. YOU CAN TAKE A 25 WATT SPEAKER, PUT 100 WATTS OF CLEAN SIGNAL, AND IT WON'T BLOW.

YOUR THEORY IS COMPLETELY WRONG, LOOK INTO IT.

u said EXACTLY what i did. a clipped signal will kill subs. and you cannot say over powering a sub will not kill it. thats rediculous. the voice coil is set to take a certain amount of abuse, and overdoing it on a shit load of power on a daily setup WILL FRY YOUR SPEAKERS. why can a comp car take so much power? cuz its 3 second BURP.

as far as my theory being wrong.....its fact. clipped signals kill subs. aka: setting gains for a certain level and exceeding this, can lead to a clipped signal, or a shitty amp, and cranking the gains.

granth   +1y
oh and to the thread starter. do not buy plywood. buy MDF 3/4 inch MDF. its only a couple bucks more and has a better resonant property or whatever for audio. its a more solid wood. use it, its a big grade up from ply wood.
rickster6924   +1y

U can't turn down the watts by turning down the gain it don't work like that ur gain control is not a volume control!!! It adjust the amount of frequencies u send to the speakers no matter how low or how high u turn it u get same amount of watts and it is better to over power ur subs a little then is to under power them alot. O and u can fuck up ur subs by under powering them

ill say this though...a CROSSOVER blocks and passes frequencies from and to the speakers. your gain CONTROLS YOUR WATTAGE NOT YOUR VOLUME

NO i'm completely right!!!!!!! I've been installing car audio 4 about 13 years now and the only way to turn the amps wattage up and down is to change the ohms of the speakers u r hooking up and that is the only way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to read up on what makes speakers and amps work
mjavy7   +1y

oh and to the thread starter. do not buy plywood. buy MDF 3/4 inch MDF. its only a couple bucks more and has a better resonant property or whatever for audio. its a more solid wood. use it, its a big grade up from ply wood.

I know, thanks for the heads up. this is going to be the 6th box that I have built my self, by now it's the only way to do it for me. As a matter fact I mesure out my car and i will make several different blueprints (before I stard cutting wood and wasting my time) to see which box will work better. this way I can calculate the air space to 99.9% accuracy and use as littler room as possible in the trunk. On my lexus I purchased 2 boxes and both sounded ok then I built a 3rd. and it was by far better that the previous 2 and of course more room.
post photo
post photo
granth   +1y
Edited: 5/7/2006 7:14:55 AM by framedragger

NO i'm completely right!!!!!!! I've been installing car audio 4 about 13 years now and the only way to turn the amps wattage up and down is to change the ohms of the speakers u r hooking up and that is the only way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the ohm load has NOTHING TO DO WITH WATTAGE OTHER THAN IT CAN PULL MORE OUT OF THE AMP! im not even going to try anymore, i will post your message on my car audio forum i frequent and let them rip ur responses to pieces. and post u the link. u can install subs and speakers and amps or whatever your whole life and get by not knowing a damn thing about what each knob on the amp does. which u seem to have proven IMO. but i will post the link once they correct what you have said.
rickster6924   +1y

Edited: 5/7/2006 7:14:55 AM by framedragger

the ohm load has NOTHING TO DO WITH WATTAGE OTHER THAN IT CAN PULL MORE OUT OF THE AMP! im not even going to try anymore, i will post your message on my car audio forum i frequent and let them rip ur responses to pieces. and post u the link. u can install subs and speakers and amps or whatever your whole life and get by not knowing a damn thing about what each knob on the amp does. which u seem to have proven IMO. but i will post the link once they correct what you have said.

If ur stupid enough to believe that than go 4 it
granth   +1y
im done trying to explain this to you, you obviously know nothing. and u dont want to learn so its not worth it. once someone intelligent comes in on the subject other than me, u will realize how off you are.