threads
Page 2 of 2
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  electric fan conversion?

electric fan conversion?

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 2553
replies 13
following 9

truck action   +1y
Pull all the spark plugs & spin the engine,see if the noise is still there or if there is any resistance.There should be very little noise!! Is the fan itself facing the right direction?
An electric fan is way better than a fan pulling H.P. from your engine,any engine. That's why you see electric fans on all late model cars & trucks!!
3tcrob   +1y
Has it always made this noise or just start happening?? A good working clutch fan will make a loud wind noise Almost sounds like a Semi engine taking off from a stop(not exhaust noise).
holcombe347   +1y
yeah thats why im switching it over to electric. if manufacturers use them as primary cooling on new cars, im sure my little toyota will do just fine with one given a sufficient amount of cfm. ive heard, after about 30mph, the wind factor cancels out the fan anyways, they are just for idle speeds and traffic conditions. but anyways, its never made the sound before up until about a week or so ago, its always been a pretty quiet truck as far as the fan noise goes. when it started to make a loud windy noise, like a big rig accelerating is when i looked into it and discovered my fan clutch was no good. i replaced it with a new one and thought it would go back to normal the the loud wind noise like a big rig makes is still there. before my exhaust was the dominant sound on the truck at all ranges of speed now my fan is (or at least the windy noise). im going to take it apart and try to trouble shoot it a little further this weekend. thanks for all the help guys i appreciate it.
sd yota   +1y
check and see if you didnt get a faulty one by fluke..... its happened to me before.

sounds like its in the clutch itself...... fans dont all of a sudden become louder on their own for no reason. clutches (on most occasions) are meant to "lock up" when they fail that way you dont over heat when it goes.

only other thing i can think of is that your having heating issues elsewhere and ou dont know about it..... these are thermal so they'll kick in at a certain temp.....