threads
Page 1 of 2
Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 \  electric fan conversion?

electric fan conversion?

Yota 2.4L 22-RE I4 Yota Engine Yota Tech
views 2539
replies 13
following 9

holcombe347   +1y
i havent been on in a while, my work blocked this site.. haha. oh well...good ol proxies. anyways, my fan clutch just went out and i need to get a new fan system of some sort. i figured since i need to replace it, i might as well do the electric fan conversion now and gain a few ponies. so far i want to go with a Flex-a-lite fan the model number is flx165 or flx160 (through summit). the 165 is a toyota 4x4 specific. and the 160 is a universal. Is the 4x4 cooling system (i dont think it is) any different from the 2wd stuff? in other words, if i got the one for the 4x4 would it bolt straight up to my 2wd. flex-a-lite made it sound like it wont. anyways what do you think about this setup?

here is what im looking at assuming the 165 is a straight swap with a 2wd. Thanks in advance!!!

slammedtoys   +1y
damn man you can get them cheaper then that
yodaforce   +1y
The cooling system is the same. I would just check with Summit on the dimensions to make sure you can clear the pulleys. I would also just run an adjustable temp sender that has a probe in the radiator fins. I ran a universal flexilite on my old Chevy, ran my relay wire to my ignition, and I took note of my normal running temp. I let it warm up to that temp, then adjusted the fan control until it kicked it on. It was simple, but there is nothing like not having all that wind noise from a clutch fan!
truck action   +1y
My FlexIlite did not clear the pulleys,so went with a curved blade 16" Spal, & a Centech fan controller,that allows on @ any temp. Works great!!
smctoy   +1y
I was just about to email you truck action & ask you to post pics of what youve got on your truck!!
sd yota   +1y
ive also thought about doing this but i hear that the ford taurus fans are a better swap in for electrics??? anyone else hear on this?
holcombe347   +1y
the dimensionson both the 160 and 165 are both the same. its 4-1/4" deep. ill check it out this weekend when i get it pulled apart. i would really love to use the fex-a-lite fan. its going to be my primary cooling system so i dont want to cheap out on this one... i would like to use the prong type sensor but the one that comes with the kit you hard wire into the temperature sensors. i had planned on using a relay and wiring it into my ignition as well. but i also only want it to come on when my truck gets warmed up so it doesnt take so long off a cold start up. does anyone have any pictures of this? truck action, do you have a model number of the fan you went with? is it a flex-a-lite also? thanks yet once again!
lux15m   +1y
factory fans are always better than electric.
If you do go electric i swear by SPAL, I'm running 2 10".
t.o.sid   +1y

i had a taurus fan setup on my truck and it worked pretty well around town and in traffic. i took it off though because when if put the engine under a load for more then a few minutes the fan couldnt keep up and the truck would start to over heat.
the thing almost bolted up to the factory shroud mounts on the radiator too. i got the fan controller from summit for like $50 and got the idea and write up from yotatech.com.
it would probably do great anywhere year round but not in the mojave desert in the summertime which is when i had it on.
holcombe347   +1y
well i pulled the fan out this weekend and the clutch was trashed, so i figured as a quick fix for now i bought another clutch so i can at least drive it around until i do a little more research on this electric fan deal. after replacing it though, its still doing the same thing it did before. when you accellerate it make a really loud windy fan noise. almost like the small blocks make but louder. the truck also runs like a slug, there is no power at at all once my rpm range gets higher than 2,000. its rediculous. could it be any thing else maybe? a bearing or something? its never done it before until now. i going to try pulling the fan out all together and bolt it back up and go drive it around the block to see if its the fan making all the noise. i dunno, im stumped.