Page 1 of 2
Yota Audio Video \  Fiberglass...

Fiberglass...

Yota Audio Video Yota Tech
views 4538
replies 18
following 8

phatboislim   +1y
any fiberglassing tips on doing the dash like do i need to remove the 'vinyl' before fiberglassing. i was gona get another dash to practice on and if it turned out nice enough i was gona put it in and do da whole dash myself
phatboislim   +1y
anybody??? or can anyone tell me whether i can retrofit a 89-95 p/u dash in my 88?? please i need some help im tryin 2 have a clean looking/not elaborate interior
phatboislim   +1y
anybody??? or can anyone tell me whether i can retrofit a 89-95 p/u dash in my 88?? please i need some help im tryin 2 have a clean looking/not elaborate interior
baha   +1y
I can't help ya with the retro fit but I have alot of experience with fiberglass, I would take the vinyl off the dash, you want the piece to be bare, also if it is plastic underneath you will need to sand it with some course sand paper 30-40 grit to give it some texture and also make sure it is clean use some alcohol based cleaner then you can glass it and make sure you cover the whole piece in glass not just one side, fiberglass has a hard time bonding to plastic, most people just use adhesion promoter after its sanded and paint it smooth.
phatboislim   +1y
thanks i just have one more question how do i go about removing the 'vinyl' on the dash b/c it is hard and doesnt look easy to remove
oldsklminitrk   +1y
I have retrofit the new dash into my 85 I think I used a 95 dash in mine.Im still in the process of doing it but it will fit......mine is shaved and molded in diffrent places but over all it will work.Here is a couple of shots of the set up
thread post photo

phatboislim   +1y
i see to different speedos which one are you using? u musta got the one that was from a 4x4 in the mountains w/ da altitude, rite? i think ima try da 2wd dash
oldsklminitrk   +1y
Yeah thats my clinometer......it adjust to how Im riding in the truck so when I got the back down it shows the beack down and vice versa its just something fun to have in there cause no one else has it.Im using the old 84 cluster in the dash the new onehad some issues not being able to hook up to some of the electronics and also I didnt have a manual wire speedo only a electronic which is in the newer ones.
rubber ducky   +1y
that clinometer came out of my 84 4-runner,,,,i donated to Rodney for the Project,,,it really works like he says,,,when he is cruising he uses it to get the ride height angle that cruises best. its the shit
phatboislim   +1y
dats sick nice idea, im not gona cock block you on dat one ill try to let you stay original with that idea...

anyone have any clues on getting the vinyl offa the dash, would it be feasible to put it in the oven to soften the vinyl to make it easier to take off??