threads
Page 6 of 7
Max Suspension \  sas (straight axle swap)

sas (straight axle swap)

Max Suspension Max Tech
views 14690
replies 61
following 9

slow50   +1y
its ok my thread has 1500 views and only a few coments. probably less coments then yours.
deathadder   +1y
how did you do the front axle's front leaf hangers? i'll post how i did mine on my 84 d-50 sport, and more importantly what axles are you using, im using sterling heavy half ton chevy axles, dana 44 equivelent, full size width, and with full size axles the frame is narrower than the leafs sit on the axle, my front hangers are done but i need to do the shackles and am woundering how to go with it?
metalbender1   +1y
the front spring hangers i made from steel plate which there are pics posted of, if your refering to what i did on the axle i got a set of axles out of a 83 jeep wagoneer. the jeep was a 6cly 4speed version so it had the manual hubs, i wanted to retain the 6 lug pattern to try to pass off the fact i put a solid axle under my truck. youd be surprised how many ppl there are that dont know squat bout these trucks! but i wanted to run chevy runnin gear, so i got a front housing from a 77 halfton set it on 3 jackstands and set a angle finder on the spring perches as well as took a reading for pinion angle. i wrote em down in a book in my toolbox so they wouldnt get lost, (VERY IMPORTANT!!!) then i measured from the diff out on each side of the jeep. adding extra for the inner c's to go back on. i transfered these measurements to the chevy housing then took a chop saw to it so i would have a nice true 90 degree cut, (also imprtant). then i took a carbide burr to the c's i just cut off and went around the factory weld so i could see the crack to know they were loose. then i went from the inside and cut 2 grooves in the tube to free it as well. i put them in my press and pressed out the remainder of the factory tube i ground the ends i just cut and hammered on the c's to the now narrowed axle. i checked my caster angle which i had previously recorded before i sent it home. then i welded the c's back to the axle. and cut off the spring perch the other is made into the diff i moved the spring perch so it matched the jeeps. i now have a custom width axle that looks correct under my truck,(wheels dont stick out a foot) and i can still use off the shelf parts as your only tranfserin the jeep axle shafts from left to right and right to left. i hope this helps you in your quest and thanks for posting your question it might help somebody else out there too. oh and just so you know if you use 4" rearched yota springs the drop on the front leaf spring mount is 6 1/4" to the center of you bolt to get the springs and pinion right, i wish somebody woulda told me that!
texasfittys   +1y
damn ive been gone a minute...sad to see this hasnt been touched since june 20...i hope youre still workin on this machine
hampton123   +1y

Just a quick comment. Almost all the Wag/Chero around that time period had the D44 with manual locking hubs. and If others decide to go this route, check ifsja.org . They are friendly people and they usually have good stuff for sale.
metalbender1   +1y
yea fifty its been too long since ive posted on here, unfortunatly my truck has been sitting in the corner of my shop being neglected. i hope to get started on it again soon. ill keep you posted
texasfittys   +1y
well theres no need in rushing things...just make sure you stick around and dont be a stranger
metalbender1   +1y
im not goin to be a stranger, just had to take care of business first. but as i get moving on it again you guys will see the efforts i can promise you that
samario1984   +1y
Good luck with the truck! If my mighty max wasn't a 2x4 i would be more interested as I love my wheeling.Except I normally end up stuck and things get broken.... Until the time comes that I don't have a little girls truck this is all i have to say...
metalbender1   +1y
well gang its been WAY too long since ive touched my truck. i plan on fixing that problem in the next couple weeks! most of the "projects" ive had sitting around are almost complete so that will free me up to play with my truck. itll be nice to work on my stuff again! instead of somebody elses! so stay tuned pics and tech to follow soon