Page 1 of 2
Ranger Engine \  uh-oh, truck won't start

uh-oh, truck won't start

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 2733
replies 13
following 7

tiger   +1y
I redid some of my wiring, just rerouting and taping wires together as a bundle to make them look a bit better...but when I reconnect the battery, the truck won't start. Cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends, still no go. The battery has 12 volts and is good, as everything else on the truck works. There is continuity between the negative terminal and the battery ground on the core support...I did remove that ground to redo the wiring, but it's plenty tight enough. When I turn the key to "ON" I show a low volt reading. WTF. Seems like everytime I remove the negative from the battery for whatever reason, the truck won't start afterwards...
bodydropped85   +1y
just cuz it has 12 volts dont mean it has the ccas to start it. is it doin anything? what wires did you move/tape up? u mite have a ground wire left offf....
hotboxd   +1y
or two wires touching. if something starts smoking, be ready to get those cables off.
scrp1day   +1y
sounds like a short somewhere if it was an open youd get no power if you take resistance readings i could help you more
tiger   +1y
Nah, I'm stupid, all I needed was a jump.

My voltmeter rounds up (damn electric POS meters), and while it read 12volts, it was closer to 11, enough juice to pull the solenoid, but not to turn over the starter.
bodydropped85   +1y
sounds like you have a dead cell in your battery...
tiger   +1y

wouldn't surprise me. the batt is maybe 3-4 years old, so it's getting to be about time to replace it. when I do, I'll probably go sealed and move it to under the bed.
wht01ranger   +1y
go to autozone or advanced and get em to check it

i bet u yer cca is like 3 lol

just replaced my girl's batt in her neon, she had 100ccas left....wouldn't turn over at all, batt was about 2yrs old
scrp1day   +1y
go optima iis a little more but soooo worth it. im gettin a red top in a couple months
at dusk   +1y
ya i have the red top and i have to say. way worth the money.. i melted the wire going to the alternater ofter re routing it once.. the truck started and got me home about a 40km or 25 mile drive on the battery.. with no chrage from the alternator.. since changing to the red top i havent had one problem with the electrical system .. before teh red top.. man.. everyday it was somethgn else..

ret top all the way.. steve