threads
Page 1 of 2
Ranger Engine \  Can anyone shed some light...?

Can anyone shed some light...?

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 2134
replies 17
following 6

sparkranger   +1y
Im a little curious about my engine.

I have an '87, 2.9 FI. Auto trans. Now the trans is new and rebuilt (last year), new PS pump and gaskets. I have a small PS pump leak which is nothing serious and is totally irrelevant (sp) to my questions.

Now...it shakes and creates some serious noise around 70/75 (highways aren't fun) and runs freakishly hot. The fan is slightly cracked (bought it all funked up) and im wondering if that makes a HUGE difference. I would love to get more speed/hp out of doing backyard mods for dirt cheap but have no idea as to what direction to go.

Can anyone help with the noise/lack of speed and how to gain more out of this?

Thanks.
bodydropped85   +1y
has it ever ran hot b4? its prob got a cracked head or a headgasket blown.
sparkranger   +1y
It has been running hot since we bought it so i thought nothing of it.

I wasn't sure if it was a serious thing or not so i didn't pay much attention to it.

P.S. - I talked to you online. JuStDrGnBy for a ref.
roush   +1y
When parked, if you raised the rpm to about 3K does it shake like as it does at 70mph? If so replace the fan. Another thing and its not good it might have a bad head gasket causing it to run warm.
sparkranger   +1y
Im gonna have to guess where 3k is because i dont have a seperate rev. gauge.

We replaced the gaskets before we put it on the road so im not 100% where that comes into play.

On a side note, I just found out i need to replace the rear wheel bearings! Joy...
tiger   +1y
Even if you replaced the head gaskets, if the head is cracked, you'll still have over heating problems.
layingframe89   +1y
yeah soundsa like a blown head gasket and prob a cracked head 2.9 are pron to doing that from what i have heard
sparkranger   +1y
If that is the case, how much would it be to get it replaced? Might need to worn the parental units now before my ish explodes...
layingframe89   +1y
get a new engine because its prob done alot of damage by this time
sparkranger   +1y
Engine is fine. Its also 97 outside as I type this.