altenators suck (long)

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 2476
replies 14
following 7

bodydropped85   +1y
sounds like to me u have a parasitic power draw
tiffany   +1y
well see....when i went to start it up this morning it up it makes this grinding noise but proceeds to start up. the other thing is that my battery has been charging all night and still reads low!
tiger   +1y
If a battery is drained past 80% capacity, espically if it is drained all the way, it won't charge properly, or at all. So even though it was on charge all nite, it simply wasn't taking a charge. You can rescue a 'over-discharged' battery, but it takes time and more professional equipment, no just some ol' charger picked up at wal-mart. Oh, and you need a hydrometer and some other special tools and equipment. I used to be a forklift battery technician, so I'm a re-friggin-genious.

But I'm with ol' James, sounds like a parasitic power drain somewhere...somebody did something and didn't do it right, causing a drain on the battery....or a factory component has failed, maybe a voltage regulator or something.
tiffany   +1y
ok heres the update:

Took the alt back and got it tested again and it was barely running 9v. So they exchanged it for me right away. Then I put the alt in and what do you know I need a new starter too. It sucks but everything is all fixed now so no more worries for me!
bodydropped85   +1y
the solienoid on the starter could have bensticking causing the draw also.