threads
Page 1 of 2
Ranger Engine \  Possibly valves tapping???

Possibly valves tapping???

Ranger Engine Ranger Tech
views 1895
replies 11
following 4

the twanksta   +1y
hey guys, recently my truck was running like shit due to a mjor need for a tune-up. Last monday(8-8-05) I got an oil change and switched to synthetic oil, got new spark plugs and wires,got an induction service(im sure you know what it is, but just in case its where they clean out the intake manifold and vlaves and all that garbage) and also got my fuel injection system cleaned out. It runs like a dream now, but Ive also noticed a new noise..Ive never heard the sound of valves tapping but from common knowlegde thats what it sounds like..just wondering if this could be bad, or just normal from the new cleanout??THANKS! Sorry for the long post.
bodydropped85   +1y
could possibly just from the clean out. run some hi test gas after u run this tank out and see what that does. ih ave to run 93 in mine just so it wont do that...
the twanksta   +1y
ok ill run some 97 next time...see what happens.THANKS!
infernoford   +1y
97....wow Im moveing out there. the norm around here is 91. anyway the tapping sounds like it might be a lifter. Its probably from getting everything cleaned, and switching to some good syn. oil. When all the cleaning broke up all the crap in your motor some of it might have stuck in the lifter causing it to not pump up like normal. If you can get your hands on some "Mistery Oil" brand cleaner, try it. That stuff dose wonders.
the twanksta   +1y
Where do i ut this mystery oil?
infernoford   +1y
throw some in with your oil. I have better luck finding it at Napa around here, but just check your usual auto parts store.
bodydropped85   +1y
dont waste ur money on that crap, 2.3s have hydralic lifters anyways.
the twanksta   +1y
so is this a bad thing exactly? or just something that is not really wanted. my friend had the same prob on his car(dont know if ti applys for me) but had to take off the valve cover and adjust the backlash on the valves and it quit and even helped with power a lil bit. but what i want to know is if this is something i need to qworry about or just ignore it cuz its supposed to make the noise...thanks guys.
itsarealedgeiswear   +1y
put a gallon of diesel fuel per 10 gallons in your tank, your ride will be smokin in no time and you wont have to worry about them valves tapping no more. I told a buddie of mine to do that and Im sure he thinks of me everytime he starts it up.
infernoford   +1y

Thats where the tapping is probably comeing from. The lifter isn't pumping up like normal, which gives you too much lash.